PDA

View Full Version : Poor radio reception

peterc57
19-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I have an new A4 2.0TDi Saloon (56 plate) and have recently had a Pioneer AVIC-X1BT radio/DVD/satnav system fitted. When I originally got it back from the fitters I had very little radio reception at all. I took it back to them and they say they took the roof lining off and connected the aerial (they told me that this is often not connected as the Audi Concert Radio doesn't need it.) When I got the car back the radio reception had indeed improved but it is still poor in certain areas. The TMC system often cannot get a signal from Classic FM because the reception is so poor.
Is there anything else that should have been done? I have lost faith with the fitters so would appreciate any help you can give me.

Peter

RickT
20-01-2007, 01:20 AM
it should plug and play..

i would recommend getting some one else to look at it.. my mate put a Alpine DVD LCD screen in his with a fasia panel and it just plug right in and worked fine...

One other thought... wonder if the aerial socket on the head unit is faulty??

RicKT

patrick
20-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Even with new OEM satellite equipment it can be touchy, but not a common problem. I would look at the antenna location, antenna connection, and cable.

The OEM system puts the antenna right on the roof of the car in the shark fin. If you can do the OEM satellite radio at purchase or when ordering the car, that is best. If you add the OEM after purchase it usually works well too. Aftermarket just never seems to have the quality of OEM in this department. Going with an Audi dealer is more expensive, but usually worth it. I sold the cars for several years and I have never seen an OEM problem.

I have seen problems with reception with Audi's OEM OnStar though.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.Audia4mods.com)

peterc57
20-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I have heard on other threads that the Audi has an aerial amp that needs powering either by a voltage on the aerial lead or using a separate wire at the side of the aerial lead. If this wasn't connected would this explain my problem? Would there still be enough signal to give me some radio reception? What is the best way to investigate which way the amplifier should be powered (and indeed, whether it is connected correctly or at all)?

Peter