PDA

View Full Version : Spare Keys

Hallmark
19-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi I am new to the site
I have VW Polo Tdi SE 2000 reg,Yesterday could not find my keys so has to use the spare,opened the door ok switched on the ignition car started ran for about 2 secs then cut out,tried the black plastic key and that did the same.Tried half a dizen times with the same result.......
Managed to find my orginal keys and all was ok..why does the spare not work correctly?....does it need to be programmed in some way?:confused:

Regards Bob

Sam
19-01-2007, 04:05 PM
The spare key doesn't have the immobiliser transponder in it. So it's working as it should, which is a change!

Hallmark
19-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I might be missing something,but whats the point of the spare key if it does not work!!
And how do you get it to work correctly

Thanks Bob:confused:

adamss24
19-01-2007, 06:49 PM
It needs programming again. Have you notticed the immo light staying on while the car was started (with the spare !) and after the engine stopped, did the light started to flash quickly ? The immobiliser erase the spare's key from the memory if not used for a long time ! Its wise to use the spare keys couple of times a year so the ECU still reckognise them. You will need to go to the dealer to have them reprogrammed and it will cost you or, if you live close to london, i could help ... Hope this helps !

Hallmark
20-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Thank you for your advice Adam,but l live in the North-East..
I will check with the local dealer see what he will charge me...

Regards Bob

devonutopia
20-01-2007, 02:39 AM
You can code keys with vagcom. I've not done one for a long time, but I think you go

17 - instruments
10 - adaption
enter 4 digit pin to access ECU
channel 23? or something around there.

Change number to 2 - turn off key, remove, turn on ignition. Take key to match, put in ignition, turn, then turn off and remove. Both keys should then be coded. If you want 3 keys done, just change the number in channel 23? to the number of keys wanted and repeat the process. :)

adamss24
20-01-2007, 10:12 AM
He needs the SecretKeyCode anyway to be able to unlock the adaptation channels ! If he has the key tag, then vag com will work a treat ! Cheers !