PDA

View Full Version : Question Coloured polish - any recommendations?

Dudey Head
24-07-2008, 05:11 PM
My trusty old Ruby Red coupe (in all it's slightly grubby glory in pic below) has got a few little dings & scratches, which you would expect from a 14 year old car. When I got it about four years ago, it had been valetted & looked in amazing condition. There is still a little blob of whatever they used on the wiper arm that can still be seen to this day, so it must have been potent stuff! Anyway, obviously the main bodywork has had much more washing & polishing done to it during the time I've had it (in fact I've probably never washed the wiper arms!) so whatever they used has long since gone & there are little scuffs & scratches visible & even a patch that looks like it's been sprayed at some point can be just about be seen.
Without having to spend a fortune, is there a particularly good coloured/ colour enriching polish that'll mask the imperfections?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3218&d=1216426699

Col
24-07-2008, 05:19 PM
It sounds like you need to do a bit of paint correction on it.

Ideally, you'd machine polish the swirls out of the paint but this is quite a skilled job and obviously requires some pro kit. You will of course get the best possible results this way. It'll cost you though.

The second best way along the DIY route would be to 'clay' the paintwork and then polish it with a mildly abrasive polish (sure the detailing blokies will advise the stuff to use) But as a starting point get some of the Meguires 3 stage stuff, 3 bottles, one a paint cleaner, one a polish and one a wax, you'd need to buy the claying kit separately. All available at Hell-frauds. Not the best kit but a good way to start off.

Dudey Head
24-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Cheers Col, so you don't reckon the coloured stuff is much good then? I can't believe there's still purpley-red blob on the wiper arm four yers down the line! It looked pristine when I got it & it was ten years old then!

Col
24-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Cheers Col, so you don't reckon the coloured stuff is much good then? I can't believe there's still purpley-red blob on the wiper arm four yers down the line! It looked pristine when I got it & it was ten years old then!

Sure that purlpy red blob isn't bird poo?

I suppose it depends what the birds eat oop North? Southern birds are known to do purple-ee red poo, fact.

Dudey Head
24-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Sure that purlpy red blob isn't bird poo?

I suppose it depends what the birds eat oop North? Southern birds are known to do purple-ee red poo, fact.

:biglaugh: This could be taken out of context if you use 'bird' to mean something else entirely!
I'm 1 million % positive it's coloured polish type stuff & not bird poop. I know what ya mean though about feathery fiend poop being different colours!!

Col
25-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Do dogs oop North still do white poo ?

I haven't seem white dog poo for years.

Dudey Head
25-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Do dogs oop North still do white poo ?

I haven't seem white dog poo for years.

Yeah, but it's a rarity! A mate of mine's got a theory about that, he reckons they go white when the flies having "taken all the goodness out"! What goodness there
could possibly be in dog poop, I don't know! Having two dogs & a not very big garden, I'm yet to encounter much goodness in their poop! :o
Does the southern canine tend to do a darker poop these days? My two occasionally do yellowy ones, which certainly lacks any goodness in my book!
:puke:

Col
25-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Does the southern canine tend to do a darker poop these days?
:puke:

I dunno ?

I just thought that Northern dogs maybe due to a higher intake of lard in their diets may have been more likely to do a white poo?

Down South, lard was soooo 1970's and that is when most of us gave it up, including dogs.

Dudey Head
25-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I dunno ?

I just thought that Northern dogs maybe due to a higher intake of lard in their diets may have been more likely to do a white poo?

Down South, lard was soooo 1970's and that is when most of us gave it up, including dogs.

I've been a vegetarian for about 5-6 years me old china. you'll find no lard in my gaffe! I'd have thought southern dog poop would be grey, with all those jellied eels! :p

Bassbones
07-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Sorry to get away from poo guys lol. I'd give the coloured polish a miss as the colourant dyes the panel changing the original shade of the car and making it impossible should you ever want to consider respraying any bits

Dudey Head
07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Sorry to get away from poo guys lol. I'd give the coloured polish a miss as the colourant dyes the panel changing the original shade of the car and making it impossible should you ever want to consider respraying any bits

Ah, right. Thanks for that one. There're a couple spots that could with a touch up, so I'll steer clear of the coloured stuff then!! ;)

Dudey Head
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Mind you, it's probably a bit late considering it had already been done as part of the valet it had before I bought it!

sdk778
08-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I sometimes use Colourmagic polish on the 80, it's black and sometimes i see a difference, but the car is base black, not metallic and i believe its best on flat colours, as a guide i usually finish off with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection after and this seems to make it last. Typical Audi base paint, fades quicker than the chrome on a Cortina.
Love the colour of your Coupe though, would look nice with a shine.
:beerchug:

Dudey Head
08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Cheers! :beerchug: