PDA

View Full Version : Detailling - worth it?

meathead
24-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Is it just for show, or does detailing have a practical purpose? Once it's been done,is it easy to maintain, or does the whole process need doing every so often?

Apologies for numpty question!!

Col
24-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Of course it is worth it.

A great sense of personal achievement and pride is obtained for having a super clean shiny car.

The obvious benefit are the car will be worth more when you if you've looked after it.

Secondly it keeps your ting in with your yang, creates positice che and surrounds the car in apositive aura which means it won't break down.

Also it is a well known fact that a polished car IS faster! In fact I've just made that up.

As for keeping on top of it, as rule of thumb, any self respecting bloke should clean his car at least once a week and wax it at least once a month. Alloy wheels may need cleaning twice a week.

Dudey Head
24-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Secondly it keeps your ting in with your yang, creates positice che and surrounds the car in apositive aura which means it won't break down.

Is it worth re-arranging mats, CD cases etc. in a feng shui manner as well? ;)

bora(ing) nick
24-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Mines not been washed in about 3 months..... i normally do try and keep it clean, but i've been very busy lately....

Going to give it a good ol'd going over at the weekend, but i know it'll be filthy again by monday night.

I'm working in Liverpool for the next 18 months and eighty-odd miles of Motorway everyday isn't the best way to keep a car clean :(

Col
24-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Is it worth re-arranging mats, CD cases etc. in a feng shui manner as well? ;)

You'd have to have a consulation with a feng-shoo-eey person.

It involves no doubt the careful placement of crystals and the installation of an indoor waterfall (12 volt of course) on your back shelf.

Sam
24-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Hmm car washing is for sissie.

The dirtier a car, the more manly the driver.

smokey0123
24-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Hmm car washing is for sissie.

The dirtier a car, the more manly the driver.

I thought it was the dirtier the mind?:D

GarJE
25-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Cleaning your car burns calories. Calories which don't have to be burned moving some piece of junk at the gym.

It always strikes me as strange, the number of people that pay to go to the gym then pay people to do manual labour for them. Bonkers!

Col
25-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I thought it was the dirtier the mind?:D

Your both wrong (Sam & Smokey).

It is all in the details.

Think about what women want, they don't want a bloke with dirty fingernails that looks shabby.

Subsequently they are no impressed by a dirty car that probably has the internal odour of stale farts and old kebabs.

Ignor if married as she probably either will love you anyway or she actually has got used to the smell of your farts and secretly likes them although she'll never admit it.

Anyway, a dirty car is shamefull at this time of year, it does get light at 4.30am and dark at 9.30pm so there is always time.

Sam
25-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Cleaning your car burns calories. Calories which don't have to be burned moving some piece of junk at the gym.

It always strikes me as strange, the number of people that pay to go to the gym then pay people to do manual labour for them. Bonkers!

The gy...the gy...the what?!

Ignor if married as she probably either will love you anyway or she actually has got used to the smell of your farts and secretly likes them although she'll never admit it.

<smiles>

meathead
25-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Thread meander or what!!

Dudey Head
25-07-2008, 11:32 AM
You'd have to have a consulation with a feng-shoo-eey person.

It involves no doubt the careful placement of crystals and the installation of an indoor waterfall (12 volt of course) on your back shelf.

Or I could get that power converter thing that Malc is gonna turn his hairdryer into a turbo with!
As for the fart thing, I can occasionally get a snigger out of her with a rip-snorter, but usually I just get moaned at or hit! She's used to them but in no way, shape or form does she like them!

Dudey Head
25-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Thread meander or what!!

No worse than usual! :D

MalcQV
25-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyway, a dirty car is shamefull at this time of year, it does get light at 4.30am and dark at 9.30pm so there is always time.

I agree. Mind you that dark grey on mine never really looks different whether clean or dirty until you get reet close up.

Dudey - I am trying to nick Mrs QV's hairdryer she has at least two or three so I only have to pay for the inverter. Mind you the one I am nicking is all chrome and weighs a ton. Not sure if I will get much more speed with it attached :(

Dudey Head
25-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I agree. Mind you that dark grey on mine never really looks different whether clean or dirty until you get reet close up.

Dudey - I am trying to nick Mrs QV's hairdryer she has at least two or three so I only have to pay for the inverter. Mind you the one I am nicking is all chrome and weighs a ton. Not sure if I will get much more speed with it attached :(

All that chrome should reflect radiant heat so it'll keep the air nice & cool! :D With the added weight the pasty will be like an Audi then-too much weight ahead of the front wheels! :biglaugh:

MalcQV
25-07-2008, 11:05 PM
...and just think of all that shiny chrome under the bonnet.

Dudey Head
26-07-2008, 12:04 AM
...and just think of all that shiny chrome under the bonnet.

Detail-tastic Malc, detail-tastic! :D

Red 2
16-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Clean car for me, once a week , Autoglym once/3 months.

But you've all missed the point. Cleaning to keep the value up? Well helps but cleaning the A4 and the dearly beloved's Golf means a couple of hours outside when she is inside!:biglaugh:

Col
16-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Shocking, I'll tell her !

Dudey Head
16-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Clean car for me, once a week , Autoglym once/3 months.

But you've all missed the point. Cleaning to keep the value up? Well helps but cleaning the A4 and the dearly beloved's Golf means a couple of hours outside when she is inside!:biglaugh:

You, sir, are a cad & a bounder!! ;)

source
05-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Is it just for show, or does detailing have a practical purpose? Once it's been done,is it easy to maintain, or does the whole process need doing every so often?

Apologies for numpty question!!

Once it's been done mate you'd think you have a brandnew car believe me, there is some great detailers out there but they ain't cheap but then again quality never is cheap

Plife
10-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Definitely think it is worth it. Car doesn't have to be in a bad state. I hate having a car with swirls all over it from badly looked after paintwork (read sponge and chamois or car wash!). If you take the time to look after the car it makes washing easier and the paint look better.....helps when it is time to sell the car!!!

I would never let a dealer wash my car. My B8 A4 will be picked up untouched by the dealer!!