PDA

View Full Version : Steering noise

Mav2006
18-01-2007, 08:25 PM
My Mk5 Golf seems to make a clunking noise when steering at low speeds. I'm sure I read somewhere that VW are aware of this? Does anyone else know about this and what VW say about it

Eshrules
18-01-2007, 10:10 PM
My Mk5 Golf seems to make a clunking noise when steering at low speeds. I'm sure I read somewhere that VW are aware of this? Does anyone else know about this and what VW say about it

is your car still under warrantY?

Mav2006
18-01-2007, 10:16 PM
its just over 12 months, so not sure, will check handbook

Teutonic_Tamer
19-01-2007, 01:55 PM

There was a known problem on a lot of 2005 Mk5 Golfs. Go see your dealer and demand they replace it under warranty.

Rgds

Mav2006
19-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, do you know what cause the problem, I wouldn't want to go to my dealer and complain about a clunking noise.

Eshrules
20-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, do you know what cause the problem, I wouldn't want to go to my dealer and complain about a clunking noise.

tip no 1, having learnt a lot about dealers and their dirty tactics, dont be too specific, if you go in and tell them whats wrong with it, theyll replace that part. get a good idea for yourself of what the fault is, but dont ever go in and tell them the fault. let them diagnose and repair themselves, if not content, keep going back. dont ever be scared of going in and saying you can hear a knocking, people have gone back into dealers with brand new cars due to squeaks and rattles. you have a warranty, excercise it! :beerchug:

Teutonic_Tamer
20-01-2007, 07:06 PM
OK, I knew I'd seen this issue elsewhere, take a look at the following linky:
http://www.forum.golfgti.co.uk/index.php?topic=32092.0

Rgds

Mav2006
20-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for link, will keep an eye out for fix or recall

Teutonic_Tamer
21-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for link, will keep an eye out for fix or recall

I wouldn't wait for the recall (can't remember if was an "official" recall anyway). Get you wheels back to the *******, armed with your newfound information, and get them to order a new revised steering rack asap. Don't forget, steering gear is a safety critical item - you wouldn't want to go round a lefthand bend, not be able to straighten up, and end up in a ditch, river etc :mad:

Rgds

kinbra
08-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Hi

I picked my car up from the local dealer today, i booked the car in for warranty work one of the faults was noisy steering on left hand lock. The dealer fitted a new steering rack the noise has gone but i need an extended road test to see if its cured. I raised the question of why i was supplied a vehicle with faulty steering, looking through the paperwork the service advisor informed me from 2008 build year a new type steering rack would be fitted in production to cure noisy steering, my car was built August 07 which is VW 2008 build year. I started a new thread titled warranty work which will list the repair work carried out by the dealer. When you contact your local dealer ask for your car to be test driven by a senior technician so you can replicate the problem then book the car in for repair this way they know what the fault rather than just booking in for noisy steering. hope this is of use to you.
Regards

Kinbra