PDA

View Full Version : Aircon been regassed, no fan movement?

andy1max
23-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry for another aircon thread, ive had a search but couldnt find what i was after.

My mk golf tdi has the climatronic system in it. I had it regassed as it wasnt very cold but its still no better. Yesterday i thought i'd see if the fan did anything when i turned it on, made sure the econ button wasnt pressed but both rad fans were just static. Is there any way of testing or finding out why, should it show a fault on vagcom??

Thanks in advance

Andy

Col
23-07-2008, 01:19 PM
The Golf does have a renonwed problem with it's fans.

What happens is the low speed resistors fail in the fans which makes the fans pulse on and off at high speed.

This in turn can cause two further problems, either the fuse blows for the fans or the fans themselves fail completey.

Normal operation = Fans on low speed all the time and then high speed if need be.

Resistor failure = Fans pulse on / off every 2-3 minutes.

Fuse blown or fans completely dead = nowt !

There is a very good thread(s) over on the ukmkivs forum describing this in detail and more importantly giving a work round / fix.

Crasher
23-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Pull off the battery cover and flip up the fuse cover. Check the second fuse from the left and it will be blown. Replace the fuse and the fans will probably work only on speed 2 which means two new fans. Is this a 150 GTI TDI? If it is, I did two sets last week.

andy1max
23-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, i shall check the fuse when i get home, so is the motor for the fans on the fan unit itself so it will all need replacing?

Unfortunatly is just the 110 tdi

Crasher
23-07-2008, 01:44 PM
The motor and fan are all in one. As it is a 110 it may only need the large fan as this is what usually blows the fuse.

andy1max
23-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Ohh might be a little better then, suppose the fans are still about a million pounds from vw lol

Crasher
23-07-2008, 04:58 PM
£150 for one, £140 for the other.

andy1max
24-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Oddly i checked all the fuses couldnt find a blown one but after pulling some out and putting them back in the aircon is working again now :D

And it was oh so nice lol

Crasher
24-07-2008, 01:30 PM
The fuses are strip fuses bolted down in rows on top of the battery. The one second from the left with the red/black wire is the fan fuse.

andy1max
25-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Mine seems to be in a different order as the red/black wire is the 3rd from left, not sure if its cause its an earlier golf as it doesnt have a plastic battery cover, can get straight to the fuse cover. Anyway had another look last night as it stopped working again, and it was the 1st on the left of the normal style fuses to the right of the 4 strip fuses, just seemed to be loose swapped it for another one that fitted tightly and it all works well :D

Crasher
25-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry, yes third from the left, looking at it, I always view things as from sitting in the car. The fuse holder will need replacing eventually.