PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi "GENUINE" Water Pump

ChrisPA3QT
23-07-2008, 12:06 AM
A month ago I bought an 2001 A3 1.8T Quattro 78000m, after 2 years saving and 18 months looking for the right car.

Had cambelt and water pump change asap with "GENUINE" parts as advised by my local Audi franchise. After 2 days the core plug "fell" out of the new water pump, lodged itself in the bottom of the cambelt cover and stripped the back of the cambelt until it snapped!

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Im having a terrible time getting any sensible answers from Audi Warranty people who claim the pump may not have been fitted correctly! How does incorrect fitting warp a cast water pump enough to pop the core plug out?

From what I have seen, the core plug is non-functional. All it does is cover a hole left by the casting process, there is no water leaking.

My Audi Center claim the core plug is a safety against freezing coolant or excessive coolant pressure but that would require it to be exposed to the coolant, and there is none leaking from the water pump even after 2 weeks with the core plug displaced.

They also say that it may take months to get any kind of answer from Audi Proper as to the warranty repairs.

Can anyone help me with this one? Any relevant VW/Audi info would be greatly appreciated.

sh4rpsh00ter
23-07-2008, 06:40 PM
A month ago I bought an 2001 A3 1.8T Quattro 78000m, after 2 years saving and 18 months looking for the right car.

Had cambelt and water pump change asap with "GENUINE" parts as advised by my local Audi franchise. After 2 days the core plug "fell" out of the new water pump, lodged itself in the bottom of the cambelt cover and stripped the back of the cambelt until it snapped!

Im having a terrible time getting any sensible answers from Audi Warranty people who claim the pump may not have been fitted correctly! How does incorrect fitting warp a cast water pump enough to pop the core plug out?

From what I have seen, the core plug is non-functional. All it does is cover a hole left by the casting process, there is no water leaking.

My Audi Center claim the core plug is a safety against freezing coolant or excessive coolant pressure but that would require it to be exposed to the coolant, and there is none leaking from the water pump even after 2 weeks with the core plug displaced.

They also say that it may take months to get any kind of answer from Audi Proper as to the warranty repairs.

Can anyone help me with this one? Any relevant VW/Audi info would be greatly appreciated.
Thats shocker mate. I had similar experience with the wife's Fabia VRS, a quick call to Skoda UK Customer Service sorted things out and the dealer was very apologetic on the phone.

Also have a look at:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0046-1011.txt

Some good advice, as well as a bit of leverage in a letter to the dealer.

A good line for the letter is:

... imagine my disappointment...

Good luck.

sh4rpsh00ter
23-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Also name the dealer on here!! Alot of dealers register for these forums!!

ChrisPA3QT
05-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for your comments sh4rpsh00ter, sorry for the delay but I've been pretty consumed by the whole thing! Apparently all that was required was 6 weeks of patience!

Audi accepted the water pump was at fault and replaced the entire head, cambelt, water pump all FOC under the water pump warranty. From the paperwork I calculate around £3000+ of work so I have to be gratefull for the £125 bill for a new battery (6 weeks sitting in thier car park)!

Unfortunatley, they returned the car with the Engine management Light on showing the following faults (not present when the pump failed) yet they claim it was present and is not related to the water pump failure.

17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
P1200 - 35-00 - -
16795 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
P0411 - 35-00 - -
17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -

I investigated this and found a vacuum hose disconnected, so reconnected myself. Not the reason for the faults tho. I think they have failed to put everything back correctly after replacing the head but of course they dont!

My problem now is basically the "customer service" I have recieved from the dealer since.

I tried to book the car in to do its 80K service, approx £500: Haldex, brake fluid, air/pollen/fuel filters. They called to tell me there was also £900 worth of additional work (£1400 total) which I said to leave. On collecting the car they presented a £103 bill for doing nothing! Their reason: "You said not to do any additional work". They also scratched the paint on the entire rear quater and claimed it was already present when I delivered the car to them!

I am now writing a very long letter of complaint to everyone I can think of!

I love my A3 but I wish I had never bought it now....

Thanks for your help.