PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 2003 Audio Nightmare

Gregstar
22-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me out?

I recently bought an Audi A4 03 plate, and removed the Standard HU.
I brought the leads to connect to my HU that i removed from my BMW.
The headunit is an Alpine DVA-9861Ri

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=DVA9861RI

This was working 100% in the BMW, but after connecting this to the Audi i'm not even getting power to the unit, I have tested the current ISO connectors with a Voltage meter and can see the V12 battery, and Ground.
But i did not have an ignition power one i think.

on the current ISO i had only 4 wires

1x Brown - Ground?
1x Red/Blue - Battery 12V
1x Green/Blue - ?
1x (i can't remember) ?

I tested all these cables and the volts i got back was

Brown - 0v
Red/Blue - 12.36v
Green/Blue - 10.11v
(i can't remember cable) 2.3v

Am I right in saying that all I need for Power should be a 12V ignition (not constant) and Ground to power the unit? As i'm thinking that I don't have the Ignition 12V?

I even tried moving various cable from the ISO connecter and that did not work either? I did read about a CAM-Mod that someone else purchase to get this Ignition switch working but when I spoke to a local audio shop they advised me that to 05 > models support this NOT the 03?

Anyway I need some guidence on what cables I need to obtain as this has driven me nutts for days.

I believe I don't have a bose system just rear amp'd speakers with Sub. The red connector

Thanks

dansansome
22-07-2008, 09:03 AM
its the lack of ignition feed that is stopping your unit from working. the OEM HU gets the ignition signal from the can-bus, so you have a few options.

you can either buy a can bus adaptor that will pull out the ignition/reverse/illumination/gala (speed sensitive auto volume adjust) from the can bus for about £50-100 depending on what you buy. this will make the HU function exactly as the OEM one did, turning on/off with the ignition etc/

you can run an ignition feed from somewhere nearby (eg the fuseboard) to get the ignition sensing.

or, you can just connect the red and yellow wires togeter on the alpine supplied harness. (there should be some bullet connectors on the harness). this will wire the ignition and permanent power wires together. the downside to this is that the HU will need to be turned on/off manually and will not know if the ignition is on or off.

hth :)

welcome to the forums :)

Gregstar
22-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah,

I remember reading this in an earlier post, I'll get this CAM-Bus adapter I think, and let you know.

Thanks

Gregstar
22-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Just spoken to a dealer that will provide this for £50 and they still was not sure that the 2003 models used CAM-Bus?

I'm going to order it anyway but still make me raise an eyebrow?

:confused: - HMMMMMMM

Do you know where on the Fusebox I could run a test wire from to the HU?
As would like to try this before i purchase this CAM-Bus adapter?

Thanks

dansansome
22-07-2008, 01:38 PM
not sure off the top of my head tbh, but you could use your multimeter to find out which fuses go live when the ignition is switched on. you could possibly use a spare fuse slot to make a new ignition sense fuse if you wanted.

make sure you have all non-essential stuff turned off first. lights/wipers etc.

i recently accidentally wired in my mrs' head unit ignition sense to an illumination wire, as her lights turn off with the ignition lol :1zhelp: