PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap long lasting 235/45/R17

GarJE
21-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Basically, I upgraded my 'loys a few months ago and they're close to the legal limit, so looking now at what I can get so I don't get stung last minute at the tyre dealers.

Anyway, I drive a mk5 tdi, which seems pretty heavy on tyres (even wear and tracking are correct).

With longevity being important (ie ~15,000 mi), What cheap tyres do you recommend without having to buy the likes of michelin (>£100 on mytyres)?

softsorter
22-07-2008, 02:11 AM
with the type of car in question and the torque through the front wheels your going to be hard pressed to get any cheap tyre to get anywhere near that 15.000mile figure.
only thing that springs to mind which are reasonable priced is Avon ZZ3's - most of the budget stuff will be long gone before 10.000miles and dependent how hard you drive as little as 6000miles ! we see a large amount of customers who bought cheap tyres become disappointed at the results.

i have seen Avons around on special for about the £70 mark and budget stuff as little as £50 but dont go there and expect 15k or any of the other advantages of better makes.

same applies to tyres as the other stuff you do get what you pay for

Dave (20 yrs Michelin/Ats Experience)