PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK3 TDI garage work

NicholasP
18-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

I have a Golf MK3 TDI. It's done 140k and i've had it about a month. I bought it off an old family friend who is a mechanic so its in pretty good condition. I can tell he has looked after it.

However, I just wanted some advice on a couple of jobs I wanted done for it. Over time, I gradually want to get all aspects of the car looked over and replaced if necessary.

As I live in central london and park my car on the street, there is absolutely no way I can pull my car to bits and service parts which is frustrating because I would really like to learn more about the engine!

However, I just wanted some advice on individual jobs I could instruct the garage to do on my car.

Firstly I was going to tell them to take a part the whole air system and give it a could clean out. They charge 45/hour. How long do you think it would take?

Secondly, I wanted the turbo cleaned. Is this a viable option?

What else could I do?

Im still a student so I was hoping to do one bit of maintenance every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for your help

Nick

Eshrules
18-01-2007, 11:06 AM
first of all, just out of curiousity, why do you want the air system and turbo cleaned? i am a great believer in the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' certain things are done as preventative maintenance, but i fear you may be just wasting money cleaning the turbo and air system for nothing. IMO you could clean the turbo yourself, it really isnt that hard if you know your way around with a spanner.... :beerchug:

NicholasP
18-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I've chipped the car so ideally, I wanted the car to be well maintained. As i don't know much about cars, I thought that would be a step towards maintaining it!

How hard is it to remove the turbo? Im worried ill remove something from the car and then not be able to put it back! It's my only means of transport so cant afford for something to go wrong!

Nick