PDA

View Full Version : A3 Jerking At Low Speeds

Michael Schupp
21-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi there

I have has a bit of an odyssee trying to get my Audi A3 sorted out. It is a 1998 1.6 l A3. I noticed that it was jerking when I take my foot of the accellerator especially in 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds. It feels like the engine is braking upruptly and is really irritating in stop and go traffic. I end up taking the car in and out of gear all the time to avoid this problem.
Several garages have looked at it and have not been able to sort it out.
I had several new sensors put in ( camshaft sensor, mass airflow meter sensor) and a new throttle body fitted. No change! Any ideas???
There are no fault codes by the way.

kardano
23-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Spark cable and ignition coil are tested..?

MickCheese
30-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Are the engine mounts sound?

omegadirective
30-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Does the pedal itself stick? My first thought would be the throttle body but you said you've had it replaced.

Was the car electronically recalibrated after the throttle body replacement? The car needs to be adjusted whenever the throttle body is cleaned or changed. Might be something to check if you aren't sure!

I can't remember if this problem was related but someone recently had a problem with a lambda sensor and they had this problem too, however I am unsure whether it was connected...

Michael Schupp
05-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi there
Thanks for your replys. Only found it today in the forum. The throttle was adjusted when it was changed. The pedal does seem ok. It feels like the engine breaks instead of just roling out when you take the foot of the accellerator. Somebody suggested an airleak but I don't know how to test for that. Recently it started revving up at cold start to about 2000 rpm and sits there for a minute or so until it settles down to the usual 800rpm.
Could that be connected. Somebody else recons it is the gearbox. Otherwise I seem to have no issues with the gearbox except it is notchy which it has always been.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Michae

zeroseven
14-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Spark cable and ignition coil are tested..?

x2 - had the same problem

thomaslab
17-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Had the same problem with my 1998 1.6 A3 recently, turned out to be the dreaded gearbox fault, the rivets shear off the differential and planet gears causing the diff to try and make an escape throught he side of the casing, the jerking sensation you are feeling is the diff coming loose, and I suggest you get it checked out asap!!
Lucky im a grease monkey and could fix it fairly cheap, although a modified gearbox from volks apart will be nearly £700 smackers good luck sorting the problem.