PDA

View Full Version : Rear demister fault

Marc97
17-01-2007, 11:36 PM
My rear demister has a strange fault which I can't seem to track down.
It seems fine when it is cold but after 5 mins or so, the yellow triangle on the switch starts flashing erratically as if it is losing its power feed.
Could the problem be in the boot wiring as I am aware of the Audi 80 boot harness wiring problems.

Cheers.

Marc.

m4xmw
18-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I take it you have the Avant(estate).

If so, it almost certainly is.
I had the same fault on my Impreza a couple of years ago.
I do know a brill auto spark, he`s in Springhead and has always been dirt cheap.(ie £20 to sort the wiring in the hatch)
Let me know if you want his number.

Regards
Mark

S2AVANT
18-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I have got hold of the entire length of wiring from a written off avant and I am putting in a repair section when it stops blowing and pi$$ing it down.
My wiper is parked at a funny angle due to this. :zx11:

Marc97
18-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the replys. My car is a saloon. Thinking about it, it can't be the boot wiring because the rear window is before the boot :p

Might get back to you about your auto spark mate Mark, I'll try and get chance to go on a fault finding mission first then when I've given up, it can go to a pro.

Thought it might have been the relay, does anyone know where it is. I looked in the fuse box but couldn't see anything written in the cover about a rear demister relay.

Thanks again lads,

Marc.

m4xmw
18-01-2007, 06:19 PM
I reckon it could be a dodgy earth if its flickering,
Try the wiring that actually goes into the window element too.

Just ask if you want his number.

Mark

Marc97
22-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Quick update on the rear demister.
It seems that the problem has progressed somewhat, the light no longer flashes, its given up altogether (after a few minutes) although my rear demister still works!!!!!
So after all that, it seems its just a faulty switch although I couldn't originally decide if the rear demister was working because it hardly ever fogs up but thanks to the crappy weather (snow/rain/hail) things have been cleared up LOL :)

Thanks for the replys, I'll be on the lookout for a new switch now to see if that cures it.