PDA

View Full Version : 1995 A6 radio wiring

jimmpad
20-07-2008, 10:11 PM
hi,I have 1995 A6 2.5 petrol,didnt have radio /cd
friend gave me a Blaupunkt cd/radio, but when fitted no power,refitted to his merc worked fine-all normal connectors-,so out came meter, the red wire from the car has power all the time,which I would normally thought was switched on/off with ignition,yellow wire from car has no power at all,according to diagram on blaupunkt case should be on all the time,for memory etc,now i temp connected red yellow together-ie supplying power to yellow- after unit plugged in and cd/radio powers up, works fine,now I am not too keen on permantely connecting these two together,yet according to handbook,radio doesnt have fuse but a"microswitch" that resets ,but just wondered if anybodyknew if yellow lead has a fuse somewhere perhaps in line,and why red lead is "on" all the time?
just double checked just now cant connect red/yellow permantly as radio illumination stays on even when switched off at radio
thanks for any assistance
Jim

bobmac892
28-07-2008, 08:30 PM
The red wire will be the permanent 12v supply which usually powers the presets memory . The yellow wire not sure. Does it have a 12v supply when the ignition is on? if so this is the switched 12v that would power the unit. Otherwise I don't know what it may be, but I'd advise you disconnect it from the other cable asap.

A quick fix may be available at Halfords or via Autoleads in the form of radio adapter connector adapter. These should fit straight onto your car and into the radio. Being Audi to Blaupunkt should actaully be ISO to ISO but check the guides and you should find one for your combination. Also the adapter will have bullet connectors on the red and yellow cables whch allow you to swap them over to ensure permanent and switching 12v supplies are connected correctly for your car, eg when you switch the ignition off the radio retains radio station presets.

You could swap the cables over your self but I advise leaving te car wiring alone as cutting it up can cause all sorts of hassle.

HTH, Bobmac892