PDA

View Full Version : worn tyres

barney2
20-07-2008, 04:10 PM
hi i drive an audi a6 avant 1.9tdi se.
i've owned the car for 2 years and bought my first front tyres soon after. i bought michelins 205/55/16 they lasted for 13000 miles.The tyre shop checked the tracking and found no faults. The tyre shop recommended changing for goodrich being a cheaper tyre. They have lasted 4000 miles and are so much scrubbed off on the outer edge of the near side front, I think maybe there's another 2000 miles left in them. I have read somewhere that the suspension should be checked only at Audi as they have all the necessary equipment. Is this so?The car has done 130Kmiles.Tyre pressures at 32psi all round.
Cheers...http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

softsorter
22-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Not strictly true as the bigger tyre suppliers have invested lots of money in 4 wheel super trackers and have access to all the data the Audi dealers have regarding tracking. it would benefit from the above and a good operator and most now because of ISO quality testing fitters would be factory trained by the companies own or manufactures instrictors.

at 130k your suspension will have settled anyway so you have a bit more neg camber than when new so this will take its toll on the inner edges and the PAS will work the outer edges. other than new suspension your bound to get a bit more wear but kept an eye on will be acceptable if its not requiring parts.