PDA

View Full Version : New Member + Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Problem !!

bungle
17-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Forum, just a quick to introduce myself and also to ask a question.

I have always owned VW's but have recently bought myself a V reg Audi A4 2.8 quattro. Love it !! Its better than I could have imagined and with a K+N induction kit recently fitted it does shift.#

:1zhelp:

I do have a question though regarding the fuel sensor in the car. The onboard computer does its job of telling me the MPG, average speed etc, and normally tells me how many miles left in the tank before I need to re-fill.

However, when I get to around 40-50 miles left in the tank, the needle goes mental, the low on fuel alarm constantly beeps which drivs me mad! Ultimately the needle on the fuel gague goes all the way to the left, then stays there, then intermitently will spike back up to show half a tank full and 120 miles left, when there blatantly isn't.

As I said its fine when there is more than 50 miles of fuel in it but then it acts like its possessed.

Any ideas?

What will it cost to fix?

Can I do the job myself?

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rob

Sam
17-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Welcome Rob.

A little risky but have you tried running it to empty to actually see how much fuel is left? I know you say the on-board computer is accurate but just wonder if you tried this.

My (uneducated) guess would be a faulty fuel sender.

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?messageID=267541

Have a look here for some ideas.

RickT
19-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

try posting this in our A4 section for more views and replies.

RicKT

Sam
19-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Moved accordingly

patrick
20-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Sounds like one of two things...a faulty sending unit or a bad connection at the sending unit.

Those are the most common culprits. The plate for the fuel sending unit and connections are usually under the rear seat. Avoid sparks and flames though. Gasoline can surprise you.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.audia4mods.com)

bungle
29-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks for all your feedback, it was a faulty sender, almost completley burnt out.

Apparently the previous owner must have kept the tank semi full for much of the cars life, rather than constantly re-filling the tank fully.

All fixed now at the cost of £32 for the sender and £40 in labour.

Thanks Again,

Rob :beerchug:

Sam
29-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Glad we could help.