PDA

View Full Version : Inner edge wear at 20k and other bits??

Mike McKinstry
18-07-2008, 08:48 PM
s

softsorter
18-07-2008, 11:53 PM
hi mike i see your car has done 150k and without doubt at that mileage the camber is a bit more generous than when it was made and the ride height is also lower due to wear and tear on the springs. so yes i suspect you have some settlement on the suspension.

if your tracking is correct its no doubt being caused by a bit to much negative camber and soft bushings on the suspension.

as your concerned by a possible blow out on the worn inner edges, i have been in the tyre trade with 20 years experience (Michelin and ATS) and if the tyres are allowed to wear down on a edge which results in the visable tread worn away to such an extent the edge become smooth then you certainly need to watch them carefully. if you have 20k out of then then you have done a good mileage on a fwd vehicle with drive and steering input both taking their toll and on todays cars that is a good mileage anyway. you dont say the full reading across the entire tyre but one would assume at this mileage they are well on the way to being well worn down.

most cars with PAS show signs of edge wear but this is normally on the outer edge

so if in doubt on how severe the wear on the inside edge is any good tyre company will advise

but from the mileage i think its probably time for a pair of tyres.

Mike McKinstry
19-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks.
Some good advice there.
I have noticed ATS are running 25% off 4 michelins so maybe a good time to change .
As you appear a bit of an expert heres another question-i moved some cheap tyres from the front to rear and ever since the steering wheel has been off centre.The tyre centre say the tracking is perfect and that the tyres are pulling the steering -is this possible?
I did go to another tyre fitter or said it could be possible.I have not changed tracking to correct steering as this would increase wear on tyres but am frustrated i can not get wheel straight ahead so maybe if changed all 4 tyres could solve this as well but credit crunch !!

Regards Mike

softsorter
19-07-2008, 03:08 PM
well normally the steering wheel is locked so the wheel is straight ahead and them 4 wheel tracking is carried out on the vehicle.

yes a defective tyre can make a car pull one way so you have to counter steer to keep it from pulling left or right.

i would get it 4 wheel tracked and some new tyres which should cure the faults you have.

if you want to prove the point swap one rear with the side its pulling to which will point out the rogue tyre.

Mike McKinstry
20-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi,
Did swap tyres from front to rear one at a time and made no difference to steering so felt it must be the combination of both rears currently on causing the problem .I like yourself wonder if the steering wheel was not locked when *** tracked it up and now although the alignment is good s/wheel is not and they have blamed the tyres as they do not want to redo or alter track rods which would be other solution I suppose.

Mike