PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant towbar and parking sensors.

cogwheel
18-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi. I have an Audi A4 Avant 2.0 diesel which I bought new in January 2008. I wished I had opted for the removeable towbar and rear parking sensors but it was a load more dosh. Could anyone advise me which is the best aftermarket towbar to use. I'd like it to be removeable and I don't really want to cut the rear bumper. I just want to tow a small trailer to put a tent and camping gear in - so what relay system would be best for me? I'm quite practical, so I intend to fit it all myself. Also can anyone recommend a rear parking sensor kit that looks original when fitted?
Regards, Cogwheel.

Corsadad
19-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I generally use Towbarman01 (a seller on ebay) and found their service very good and their prices hard to beat. They supply a range of makes and all (for cars registered on/after 01/08/1998) must be type approved using vehicle manufacturer's fitting points. His listings usually carry a link with the fitting instructions which lets you assess if you can do it yourself. Check out
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Witter-tow-bar-Detach-Towbar-Audi-A4-Avant-Est-05-AD44Q_W0QQitemZ300235149133QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1037 2QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
which looks like the Witter (one of the "better" makes) detachable for your vehicle costing £214.21 plus £8 carraige.

I've had a quick look at the instructions and it all looks straight forward to fit. One thing to watch - says on the listing "No visible bumper cut" while instructions show a cut. May well be that OE towbar requires same unobtrusive cut.

I would phone or email them about the electrics. They have kits which make it much easier to connect into vehicle wiring. With a lot of cars (particularly the likes of your A4) wires can have dual or multi functions so its not simply a case of using a 3m connector at the light unit as in the good old days.

I really must get one from him now for my Passat as wife has swapped old Vectra (with towbar) for a Polo diesel (which she loves)

As for sensors - plenty on ebay. I'm looking at some for my wife's Polo. Not interested in the ones with a fancy display consol. Simple bleep/buzzer is ideal. Most can be painted to match colour coded bumpers. Depends on where you place them. My Passat Estate has OE sensors which are black as they are placed in the black plastic skirt at the lower edge of the bumper.

Hope that helps.