PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 1.9TDi Reverse, 1st & 2nd gear not working!

ellisjames1
17-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Hiya,

Car was going fine, stopped in traffic selected 1st but car wouldnt pull away, same with 2nd and reverse. Car goes when you select 3rd and in all the rest of the gears. any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks Johnny:1zhelp:

beachy
17-07-2008, 09:15 PM
A quick guess would be an adjustment on the gear linkage but I really doubt that would be the cause especially if you had just stopped in traffic. I had to get my gear box reconditioned as a result of an internal bolt becoming loose and creating a massive hole in the side of the gear box.

If it is not a gear linkage problem I would expect it to need similar work to mine. A complete strip down and rebuild. In the long run it is worth doing with gear boxes as it can often stop other faults in the future occurring.

Seeing as you can engage some gears it should not be a problem with the clutch but I would be interested to hear what to others think it could be!

edc
17-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Check the linkage on the top of the gearbox, if yours is splined they can come loose and move.

ellisjames1
20-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks.......I am going to check the linkage today...it is a strange one as you can still put it into gear but nothing when you try to pull away....you don't feel anything when selecting 1st, 2nd or reverse however you do feel it engaging the other gears.

I will keep you posted

Thanks again Johnny

beachy
20-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Did you find any faults with the linkage??

avitmark
13-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi,

Any further update on this, had identical problem earlier in year on 6 speed box, turned out to be rivetted bracket sheared off that connects reverse, 1st and 2nd.:(

Mark