PDA

View Full Version : wiper relay

alanled
16-01-2007, 09:40 PM
is there a front wiper relay for a VW sharan VR6 1996 its just that my front wipers stopped working so i had to remove the wiper module in the engine bay and short the connections to enable only the fast speed to work. Im not entirely convinced its the control module any hel would be great.

Fourbears
22-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Sounds like the wiper mechanism has seized! My 1999 Sharan did the same and they are well known for it, as are Galaxy's and Alhambra's. My local dealer always keeps the mechanism in stock and often replaces them for the Ford and Seat dealers! It costs about £180 (not cheap I know) and you can replace it yourself. Don't use your wipers until you've replaced it as it will burn out the wiper motor which is twice as expensive! As I found out. I managed to get a motor through my mate who works for a car accessory retailer from Euro Car Parts for 1/3 of VW's price. If you want to know how to do it, PM me and I'll try to explain.

alanled
22-01-2007, 10:51 PM
do you think the mechanism could be seized even though i can operate in fast speed?

Fourbears
22-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Yes, this is exactly what mine did. Wipers would not work on intermittent or slow but would on fast, although not as fast as normal. It took me a while to suss what it was and I tried a 2nd hand mechanism from a Galaxy which was better although they are handed differently. Unbeknown to me, this had also started to seize. If you are minded to check yourself, you don't need to take it out. Just remove the plastic tray in front of it (3 bolts, 10mm heads), disconnect the motor spindle (1 nut, 13mm) and try to move the wipers. They should move freely. Any resistance and the pinions are/have seized. Tends to be the drivers side for some reason.

alanled
22-01-2007, 11:09 PM
i think it is the relay module because i have removed the mech' drive so the motor could run free and the motor didnt turn so i dont think it is the mech' ive got a new relay module arriving in the morning so only time will tell.
Ive got another problem you might be able to help me with my interior lights have stopped working on fade and also the drivers and rear passengers window hav stopped working!!! i think it could be the CCU under the passengers seat ive checked for water ingress but its dry as a bone???

Fourbears
22-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Can't help there other than to check the motors for power and work back. All I can think is that if they're the same side could be the loom, if not maybe a relay.