PDA

View Full Version : Golf door electrics problem

craggsy
16-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi All!

I've had afew problems with the drivers door on my 2001 MK4 Golf 3 door.

Firstly, the electric window broke due to the crappy plastic they use to push the window up. 2 weeks, alot of swearing and £35 worse off, I now have a 'window repair kit' which includes metal bits instead of crappy plastic bits. I've been told this is a know problem!?!

Anyway, after fixing the electric window and refitting the door card several times, I'm at the point where there are afew electrical problems.

The light on the door card which should come on when the door is open...doesn't. Nor does the alarm sound when you leave you headlights on and open the door.

Now, the thing is, if I touch metal on the light to metal on the door, both the light comes on and the alarm sounds.

Does this mean there is a short/earthing problem some where? Does any of this makes sense!

Thansk for your time

:beerchug:

stubbsy
16-07-2008, 01:57 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1542461

try this out youve probably knocked something loose.i had same problems as you and fixed it last week

craggsy
16-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Ah man! looks like more hard work, and I need to take the door lock out, bugger, was dreading taking that out!

Cheers for the link though, its quite detailed!

stubbsy
18-07-2008, 11:00 PM
just a quick update on this discussion.noticed the wifes p/s front door.interior light and warning light on door not working the otherday. fudge that i says, im not goin through all that again like i did with my own:zx11::zx11::zx11:

decided to have a nosey at it 2nite there. what i found was that the door latch/lock (in the door) has got a plastic coating round it,a bit like powder coating if you no wot i mean.this was all mangled up in the latch.yes the door opened fine,but the mangled plastic coating wasnt letting the latch return fully enough to knock the switch in the door lock. therefor door still thinks its closed hence no lights;)pulled it all out with my trusty pliers.hey presto all working again.

it may help someone with this type of common problem;)

craggsy
19-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Excellent cheers for that stubbsy, I hope thats all it is as I'm dreading taking the lock apart.

stubbsy
19-07-2008, 01:59 PM
anno its a balls of a job:zx11::zx11:

craggsy
19-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Your right, its the lock! its the 'mangled plastic coating' that isn't letting the latch return fully!

10point to you stubbsy! You've now saved my Sunday taking the whole b*&%£dy door apart again

:beerchug:

stubbsy
19-07-2008, 10:51 PM
no problem fella.glad ya got it sorted:D

brandon27uk
06-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice one, I was just about to strip the whole door down and had one last look on here, saw this thread and went straight outside opened the door turned the lights on and pushed down on the latch bing bing bing bing the headlight warning lamp started. thank god for that it would probably explain the blown bulb in the drivers door aswell.

cheers lads