PDA

View Full Version : Please help

EDD001
16-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi all.
I have a 1993 2.0l 16v coupe which has a very strange problem.
The car will be fine and then all of a sudden it will lose power and only tick over. When i then press the accelerator the engine will try to die unless i press it accelerator right to the floor when the engine will then rev right up.

Sometimes it will cure itself after 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer.
The only way i have found as a temporary cure is to unplug one of the two connectors on the unit which sits above the airbox with all the fuel lines connected.

Any suggestions on the problem would be much appreciated.

jp_paul
16-01-2007, 08:36 PM
This could be numerous things unfortunately. However, it does sound like your mass air flow meter may be sticking, hence it picking up when you apply full throttle (if the MAF is stuck at max displacement, there is too much fuel to burn unless you have the throttle fully open). I recommend a thorough clean of the plate and actuator arm and hinge assembly. The crankcase breather can sometimes supply the area with a thick black film. Clean it all away with a solvent cleaner and hope for the best. Check the flow resistance plate for a smooth operation throughout its range too.

Not sure if yours has KE Jetronic EFI, but that would explain the problem disapperaing when you unplug. The makes the fueling run in an emergency mode (like K jetronic) to allow you to complete your journey should a fault occur.

Feedback your findings...

Jp

EDD001
17-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Cheers Jp.
I will be stripping it down thursday or friday and i will post to let you know the outcome.