PDA

View Full Version : Okay guys this looks a little good to be true!

Daytripper
16-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

This chap on ebay is selling a magic pill for my audi A6 2.0TDI he says if I give him two of my sheep it will become a beanstalk with a golden goose at the top. Joking aside £25.00 for a chip that boosts my 140 BHP to around 170BHP seems to good to be true. Any of you out there had any experience of this product?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDI-Diesel-Tuning-Box-PD-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-FORD_W0QQitemZ300066724412QQihZ020QQcategoryZ32094 QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

devonutopia
16-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I can't click the link due to Ebay being blocked at work, but I believe it's too good to be true. In all likelihood it will be a 50p resistor that tricks the car into thinking its driving at -10 degC, and will overfuel like a .... insert own expletive. :D

I reckon it might give you 10 to 15bhp, and a much shorter engine life. A proper custom remap that alters boost/timing/fuelling will cost £400 odd but will be much better for the car. Mine pushes 220bhp (70 up on its standard map power) yet it still gives great driveability, good economy, and it's been 100% reliable for the 30,000 odd miles the engine has been in my car. Dread to think what state the engine would be in with a poxy tuning box.

Daytripper
16-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Cheers for giving me the heads up sounds like you saved me a costly trip to my main dealer. You mentioned your Fabia is chipped who did the work for you? Also to clarify I am looking for a plug and play option as my motor is a lease vehicle I need to be able to take it off when I hand it back. Any recommendations on a reputable tuning box supplier would be appreciated.

Mark.

ChrisF
16-01-2007, 07:31 PM
seems to good to be true.

There's the clue mate :) All these things are is a 25p resistor which fools the ecu into thinking the air temp is colder than it actually is - therefore the car runs on permanent 'choke' and supposedly gives you extra oompfh! In reality you might notice a slight improvement in performance, an increase in fuel consumption and possibly a shorter engine life due to bore wash!!!

In short, ebay is a good place for it - leave it there :)

devonutopia
17-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Most of my hardware mods came from Allards. www.allardmotorcompany.co.uk

However, when it comes to custom remapping, my entire faith lies in Jabbasport, near Peterborough. www.jabbasport.co.uk Worth the drive from Devon.

Daytripper
17-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Cheers Chris, Stuart, have a good week

Mark.

Daytripper
18-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Okay I have done some homework and bottom line is a remap changing boost and fuel input would appear to offer the best results. As you said Stuart (thanks) add on modules only alter the fuel parameters. I do not have the option of remapping the Chip, does anyone out there know of a add on module that alters both Boost and Fuel?

Cheers

Mark.:1zhelp:

ChrisF
18-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Greddy Emanage? Some of the other Japanese systems perhaps? The problem with them would be getting the specific fitting kit for your car possibly.

Daytripper
18-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Cheers Chris I will take a look in to the product range:beerchug: .

ChrisF
18-01-2007, 07:10 PM
The other people to have a look at are Gems and Motec - both do repalcement, fully mappable ECUs, also Power FC (with commander) which is, I think, a piggy back unit. All got excellent reps on the J scene :) :)