PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing correct tyres A3 99

beachy
14-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I have currently got a standard A3 99 S reg with standard sport suspension and no modifications on it. I am using Michelin Energy 195/65/R15 V. I have got on with these tyres really well and even after driving the car hard they last about 25,000 miles. I need to replace the tyres soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me if I can put lower profile tyres on the car without having to change anything else.

The 65's that I have at the moment look so ugly on the car and I am hoping the lower profile tyres will help stop the roll on corners a bit more.

One more thing is that I live in the country down rough lanes which has already knocked the hell out of the mounts for both rear and front sus, would putting lower profile tyres make this even worse?

Cheers!

SEMKY
14-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I think that changing the profile of the tyres without increasing the diameter of the rims will change the overall rolling circumference and hence your speedo will be out, and reducing the profile will be less forgiving on the rough lanes...
Hope this helps a little

beachy
14-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah I thought that might be the case but would it be enough to make a major difference? Would it in the end come down to re calibrating the speedo as that just sounds like too much work!

SEMKY
15-07-2008, 09:42 AM
You would have to work out the new circumference, to see the distance the car covers in 1 revolution.....probably would seem pretty minimal in 1 rev, but over a period of time, that could become significant for the Odometer, and if I am right (first cup of coffee of the day) the mileage will increase faster than normal without recalibration:confused:

Another thing....the gap between the tyres and the arches will get bigger too....might affect the looks more than the higher profile tyres you have now!:(

beachy
16-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah your right. I was passing my local tyre place and they said that it would be difficult to put lower profile ones on. It is possible but for the added benefit it would just not be worth it. In addition the tyres would probably be more expensive and considering tyres have gone up 25% since last time I bought them I will stick to ordinary ones!

I got a quote for £70 for some Michelin Energy's fully fitted and balanced as well as £74 for some Bridgestones. Has anyone got any thoughts which way to go?

I believe the bridgestones should last a bit longer but I have got on really well with the Michelin Energy's so bit concerned to change!

SEMKY
17-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Haha, glad that I wasn't talking rubbish!;)
I think that if you are happy with a tyre, and how it performs, its worth sticking with....Michelins are great tyres, as are bridgestones....incidentally, have you had a look on tyreshopper.co.uk?
They are run by national tyres...buy on line, delivered to national branch near you, have fitted at a national branch.....I saved about 100 quid on 4 tyres 6 months ago (avon ZZ3s)

Cheers mate:beerchug:

beachy
17-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah had a look at tyreshopper.co.uk they are not bad prices for retail. I get a discount and as a result they are about £1 to £2 cheaper but not a lot. Going to have a bit more of a hunt around for a cheaper supplier and I will let you know if I find anywhere!

Cheers

:beerchug: