PDA

View Full Version : temp related help

stubbsy
13-07-2008, 10:19 PM
on noticing that my new purchase 01 115 tdi (remapped to 150 ofcourse) had the NO NO blue antifreeze in it.**** i hope the damage hasnt already been done:(:( well changed it to the red anyway.temp sits at 90 allday long,thats not the query.1hr and a half i stood for tryin to get the fan to come on with no joy:zx11::zx11: i think she is bleed ok.cant get any heat in the bottom house,ie the one to thermostat.the wife has the same model and she doesnt have any heat in her bottom hose (no funny comments please):D is this the way these motors run

RyanTDI
14-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Did you manage to resolve this matter? I only ask as ive recently got a TDI 130 and i too cant seem to get the fan to come on. Ive been keeping an eye on me coolant which went down a bit so have had to top it back up.

Also my bottom hose doesnt get hot either

RyanTDI
14-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Im now curious, any TDI owners, do you know if your bottom hose heats up at normal 90 degree running temp and also at what temp your fan cuts it. ta

stubbsy
14-07-2008, 10:33 PM
i wonder is it a problem or is it just the way they run

robert310383
16-07-2008, 04:59 PM
on noticing that my new purchase 01 115 tdi (remapped to 150 ofcourse) had the NO NO blue antifreeze in it.**** i hope the damage hasnt already been done:(:( well changed it to the red anyway.temp sits at 90 allday long,thats not the query.1hr and a half i stood for tryin to get the fan to come on with no joy:zx11::zx11: i think she is bleed ok.cant get any heat in the bottom house,ie the one to thermostat.the wife has the same model and she doesnt have any heat in her bottom hose (no funny comments please):D is this the way these motors run

Where is the bottom hose? My fan wont come on either but the temperature needle sits at 90 all day? its a 150 diesel.:confused:

RyanTDI
17-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I spoke to VW about this, they have told me it will take a lot for the TDI fan to come on as they come on at high temp. Apparently they will only come on if you rev it about 4000rpm for a while to heat it up but at just idle will not come on.. Guess they are just built that way

Col
17-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Gents,

For your info a TDI will idle all day long and will not get up to temperature so that the fan comes on, you have to take it for a good run.

Saying that,...

90's, 110's and PD115's use a different fan arrangement but 130's and 150's are prone to problems with their fans.

What happens is the low speed resistor circuit within the fans fails which leaves you with no low speed cooling.

As a result of this, the fans pulse on / off on high speed. This can eventually either cause the fans to fail or will blow the fuse.

A simple check is,

1, Start engine (preferably when hot)
2, Switch on climate or aircon (climate must NOT be in ECON mode)
3, Both fans should come on at low speed and stay on.
4, Wait a few minutes if the fans do not come and see if they pulse to high speed. If they do, i.e. come on at full speed and stop again after 2 mins, etc etc your low speed resistors are knackered. If your fans do not work at all, check the fuses.

Col
17-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Im now curious, any TDI owners, do you know if your bottom hose heats up at normal 90 degree running temp and also at what temp your fan cuts it. ta

If your bottm hose remains cold even after a run it is a good indication that your head gasket has failed.

stubbsy
18-07-2008, 12:18 AM
sits at 90 all day,doesnt pressurise,doesnt use water,no oil in coolant and vice versa, loads of heat from heater:D:D

Col
18-07-2008, 11:05 AM
sits at 90 all day,doesnt pressurise,doesnt use water,no oil in coolant and vice versa, loads of heat from heater:D:D

Yep, sounds right no cross contamination between oil & water, heater works etc etc, BUT cold bottom hose.

Another test is to go on a sustained high speed run.

To do this you'll have to go to Germany of course ;) .....

But try and find a long stretch of uphill motorway and gun it (90+ mph) what will probably happen is that the temp will suddenly rocket up. Simply slowing down to say 65-70 will quickly bring the temp back down again.

Also just read above, it is an AJM engine, they are prone to it (first hand experience here).

Saying that, poodling to work or the shops probably won't cause issues in the short term but could lead to all sorts of nasties long term.

slim1986
18-07-2008, 05:42 PM
hi all,
just reading all the threads and was wondering weather the fans on a petrol engine work the same as the diesals????
i have an agu 1.8t and i've never seen the fans come on either!!the temp always sits at nintey and runs fine i've just never seen the fans run.

stubbsy
18-07-2008, 10:30 PM
bigcol,i can see where your comming from.i used to run a couple of citroen zx 3dr dturbo volcanes (still love them to this day)the last one i had was tunned. well when i say tunned just an extra bit of fuel and the boost turned up but went like stink:D

although didnt last too long:mad: thought i would be smart and see how long i could get away with 19psi:D i became aware mr headgasket/cracked head was begining to let go as you have described on last post,ie when canning it temp guage would rise and fall ect

BUT,,,,, went for a stint of canning today in the golf and not a sausage;)i even pulled in and checked hoses for pressure all good,guage sat at 90 degrees constant,checked the bottom hose still the same,not ice cold but slight and i mean slight heat. seemed warmer twards the thermostat housing but im guessing thats heat soak,again very slight heat in rad.

came home did the same run in the wifes car, and everything is exactly the same. ive come to the conclusion thats the way these engines run.my car has 135k on it remapped to 150,the wifes has 78k on it bog standard 115.

Col
18-07-2008, 10:34 PM
hi all,
just reading all the threads and was wondering weather the fans on a petrol engine work the same as the diesals????
i have an agu 1.8t and i've never seen the fans come on either!!the temp always sits at nintey and runs fine i've just never seen the fans run.

If it is a 1.8T, 2.8 4mo or R32, then yes you can suffer the same problem.

2.0's, 1.6's & 1.4's have different fans / fan control.

Not sure about the 1.8 non turbo.

Col
18-07-2008, 10:37 PM
bigcol,i can see where your comming from.i used to run a couple of citroen zx 3dr dturbo volcanes (still love them to this day)the last one i had was tunned. well when i say tunned just an extra bit of fuel and the boost turned up but went like stink:D

although didnt last too long:mad: thought i would be smart and see how long i could get away with 19psi:D i became aware mr headgasket/cracked head was begining to let go as you have described on last post,ie when canning it temp guage would rise and fall ect

BUT,,,,, went for a stint of canning today in the golf and not a sausage;)i even pulled in and checked hoses for pressure all good,guage sat at 90 degrees constant,checked the bottom hose still the same,not ice cold but slight and i mean slight heat. seemed warmer twards the thermostat housing but im guessing thats heat soak,again very slight heat in rad.

came home did the same run in the wifes car, and everything is exactly the same. ive come to the conclusion thats the way these engines run.my car has 135k on it remapped to 150,the wifes has 78k on it bog standard 115.

No, they don't run that way.

I've had first hand experience of this however it took me 6 months to realise.

A long high speed motorway blast is the best test. A bit of local hoonage is unlikely to get the temp up.

stubbsy
18-07-2008, 10:41 PM
was a 4 to 6 mile motorway stint.anyway only time will tell i suppose

Col
18-07-2008, 10:55 PM
was a 4 to 6 mile motorway stint.anyway only time will tell i suppose

I really don't want to be doom-mongering here !!

You need to do 20+ miles at 90+ mph.

My AJM enginged Golf held on for months and months until it started getting bad. It started with me having to top up the coolant every few weeks. Latter stages were 80+ mph on the motorway and it would very quickly overheat, drop down to 60'ish and it would cool.

stubbsy
19-07-2008, 03:14 AM
I really don't want to be doom-mongering here !!

You need to do 20+ miles at 90+ mph.

My AJM enginged Golf held on for months and months until it started getting bad. It started with me having to top up the coolant every few weeks. Latter stages were 80+ mph on the motorway and it would very quickly overheat, drop down to 60'ish and it would cool.
col no harm, but i think you ARE doom mongering here!!i know of 5 cars (not from here)now giving all these descriptions,surley all 5 arnt the same.im not a "trained vw expert "but i do no how to diagnose a head gasket failure;).a diagnostics certainly isnt driving at 90 mph for over 20 miles uphill on a motorway:Dill do a gas and comp test next week.if im wrong ill do rude things to ya when ever ya want:p

Col
19-07-2008, 10:38 AM
col no harm, but i think you ARE doom mongering here!!i know of 5 cars (not from here)now giving all these descriptions,surley all 5 arnt the same.im not a "trained vw expert "but i do no how to diagnose a head gasket failure;).a diagnostics certainly isnt driving at 90 mph for over 20 miles uphill on a motorway:Dill do a gas and comp test next week.if im wrong ill do rude things to ya when ever ya want:p

I'm also no stranger to cars and how they work. Head gasket failure diagnosis should and could be a straight forward thing.

I totally missed it and had no idea where the water was going. No normal HG failure symptoms at all, it ran correctly, had plenty of power etc etc.

My fisrt inckling that something was wrong was when by chance I felt the bottom hose one day and it was cold, I still didn't twig, I changed the thermostat as you would, still the same.

I lived with it for ages and the car ran and performed normally. I do always push my cars on a bit and then after a while the overheating at speed and under load issue started to get more and more frequent.

Saying that, if you bimble about locally, you may be able to live with this for years !