PDA

View Full Version : Clutch vibration

Zorro
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Well I've had my 7,000 miles, 57 Jetta 1.9 SE for a week now and just had it in for repairs under manufacturers warranty.

The big job was replacement of the complete clutch assembly along with the DMF.

The mechanic who tested it agreed with me that the vibration I was experiencing was worse than another Jetta he drove although he did say that it was a trait of this model.

It only appeared when I rested my foot on the pedal as I accelerated, and reduced as I went up the gearbox and the revs reduced. I know I shouldn't rest my foot on the pedal and don't as a rule, but only did this to show up the vibration.

The vibration is still there but not anywhere near as bad as it was.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Also had the nearside sun visor replaced because the micro switch on the slider covering the mirror was temperamental.

Total cost £0.00 :fing02:

collo
02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Ive got the same problem myself on a 56 model. What should I do?

Zorro
03-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Ive got the same problem myself on a 56 model. What should I do?

Assuming that your service book is up to date contact your VW dealer and get a mechanic to test drive it and see if he thinks that it's above the norm. You should have 3 years manufacturers warranty.

Teflon
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I believe there was a problem a couple of years back on 1.9 diesel Golfs, Tourans, etc. with viabration caused by the clutch and dual mass flywheel. It affected one particular brand of clutch assembly and was a re-call issue for VW. I had a Touran courtesy car for a week and it was shocking.

Do a search of the forum for "clutch viabration" and you will probably find lots of info. Beware that even if still in warranty, the dealer might try to fob you off with it being good old wear and tear.

Of course, if you've already had a complete replacement the problem should be history.

NascarMike
04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a Jetta 2.0 TDI SE & about 2 months ago I started to get some juddering from the clutch.

So last week I took it to the dealer, where the diagnosis was the twin mass flywheel was at fault.

So on Tuesday this week took it in for the job and then got a phone call that the twin mass flywheel was OK and within specification, so they have now replaced the clutch in full.

Got the car back yesterday and everything now appears to be OK.

Thank god it is still under warranty, wouldn't like to think of the cost.

skodaescapee
15-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I bought a new Jetta in March 2008 and noticed within weeks that there was a small amount of judder/ vibration on the clutch when the engine was hot and pulling away in first or reverse. The only way to smooth it was to use more revs. Having owned four Boras prior to this Jetta I knew it wasn't me.
I wrote about it on the 'What Car' readers reviews of new Jettas. I have now done about 6000 miles and haven't taken it back to the dealers yet. Strangely enough it hasn't got any worse but I don't think it bodes well for the future. The Skoda Octavia web blogs are covered in unhappy owners with serious clutch DMF problems.

Owners of these models should be aware of the possible problems with these peices of transmission and be ready to return their vehicles to the dealer when they are concerned enough and certainly prior to the end of warranties.:mad: