PDA

View Full Version : Question adaptive lights

oldgrowler
12-07-2008, 09:11 AM
hi everyone, im new on here and also new to audi cars. just purchased a 2005 a8 3.0 diesel and among the many extras its fitted with is the adaptive lights, i had a astra with these before and when going abroad all i had to do was hold light stick in turn ignition on and wait for beep then they were set for use abroad, i can not find anything in manual regarding this and after searching the web the only things coming up are either go to dealer which would leave me illegal to drive in this country or some models have a switch can anyone give me some extra clues as to where i might find this or any way to switch lights for european driving. cheers:1zhelp:

Gerbil
24-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I had the same problem with my 05 model. Checked with the dealer prior to short break in Calais. Was amazed to be advised that the shift of the lights can only be done by a dealer and is not a five minute job.

His advice, which to be fair made a lot of sense, was to use stick on beam benders. These would be far quicker and cheaper than paying the garage. Also he pointed out that UK cars without obvious adaptors on the headlights were likely to be stopped by French Police, so also better to make the change as obvious as possible.

Seemed initially odd advice, but I think he has a point.

I did wonder about going to a French Audi dealer and asking the same question? But I didn't have time.

You sure can get a lot of wine in the A8 boot though!!

oldgrowler
24-07-2008, 07:09 PM
thanks for your answer, will ask my local dealer to see what they come up with. i just hope i have the newer version with a switch but i cannot see any so probably have to go the stick on route too.

Micha_elD
14-09-2009, 11:44 PM
You can change it with VCDS (vag-com), what that does it it lowers the lights by a few degrees, so it still points up to the left, but its less of a problem. Takes about 5 minutes.