PDA

View Full Version : Octavia estate -water at rear lights area

david muir
12-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi again,
1999 Octavia estate.......discovered water in the rear 'compartment' one accesses the rear driver's side through(rhd)! Is this a known area for a water leak i.e. rear fixed window or rear lamp fitting?[The car has never been bumped and has only 24,000 miles]. Haven't done the watering can routine yet, just wondered if anybody hady 'been there' !
Thanks

sweedish
25-07-2008, 07:11 PM
David, where exactly do you mean, inside the drivers side cubby hole in the boot? or actually under the rear light?
I had a leak on my rear pillar (passenger side) and it was actually 2 things which ruined my cd changer over time so its worth checking a) the rear hose connections for the rear washer jet comes apart via push connection above the cd changer (gaffer tape this together to make sure it does not come apart under pressure) and b) the main leak i had was actually one of the screws at the back of the roof bars (last mounting point infront of tailgate). This had risen and was allowing water when it rained to get under the mount (roof rail) and drip down the rear pillar on the inside going very near to the light electrics.........i took me a long time to find it and sort so i hope that helps.....i should have kept it but instead i bought a leaky vrs........and thats even worse as i still have no carpet in the car....thats a different story though!!!!!

I have heard of rear lights fitting badly and causing a leak but they normally mist up so the above is more likely!

david muir
29-07-2008, 06:44 AM
thanks for the reply. The leak is inside the drivers side (RHD) cubby hole in the rear luggage compartment. I don't have roof bars but there is a black strip running front-to-back of car fot them ( i think).....perhaps the leak is under one of them since the water drips down from the rearmost roof pillar area! Don't see how this strip lifts off?

david muir
29-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Solved it!.....water was getting from tailgate hinge aperture down through incomplete body weld round aperture! now filled with silicon!
Thanks