PDA

View Full Version : Passat Reversing sensor problem.

jonjosar
10-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I have a 2005 Passat Highline estate(B5) with factory fitted reversing sensors. The car has been fitted with a non removable towbar which causes the sensors to pick up the tow ball every time the car is put in reverse.
The main dealer states that they cannot disable the 2 inner sensors which are causing the problem.
Has anyone ever come across this before?
If so, how did they get around it?

mixterh
13-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Going to fit a tow bar to my car with sensors and been advised that the only way is a detachable one,

Maurice
17-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I have a Mk4 Golf with reversing sensors and a fitted towbar. This causes no problems. So it can be done with the correct towbar fitted correctly.

Corsadad
19-07-2008, 08:34 AM
So it can be done with the correct towbar fitted correctly.
A little unfair to say if the bar is fitted correctly. It depends on the individual sensors range etc. That is why any fitter/supplier will tell you only to fit a detachable if you have sensors. That is the only way they can cover themselves. At the end of the day you have a big chunk of metal in an area where your senors should be picking up an obstruction.
Also bear in mind you have a Golf Estate and its sensors will likely be in a slightly different area from a Passat. IMHO you have been perhaps the lucky one
I tried sitting in the tailgate and using 4" X 2" timber where the towbar would be and it looks like I would maybe get away with a fixed bar but not worth wasting money buying one only to find it negates the value of the sensors.
Remember as the vehicle and towbar have all their mountings pre drilled in type approved locations it really can't be fitted incorrectly unlike my first attempt to fit a towbar to a mk2 Cavalier when you had to select the location of where to drill holes. OOPS chose what I thought was the centre line and found the towbar was two inches off centre when fitted - lesson learned - thankfully not an issue nowadays.

cloughie
20-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Got a B6 with factory fitted sensors no probs here..

Corsadad
20-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Different models, different towbars can all contribute to differences as it will be a close call. Can depend on whether your fixed bar is a swan neck or a flange with a bumper protection plate, the latter being considrably more bulky.

I was looking at the fixed bar with protection plate for mine (it offers a degree of parking protection from other drivers and is easier to fit a standard stabliser bracket also lazy when I need to throw a trailer on the back). My tests using 4 X 2 timber suggested I would perhaps/maybe get away with it. Jonjosar problems regarding factory sensors on B5 estate coupled with a fixed bar suggests I wont. That is why expert advice is to use a removable bar. If you fit a fixed bar and it works excellent result - if it doesn't work you could pull your hair out every time you select reverse.

davidrc
22-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I have a 2004 Highline saloon with a fixed tow bar which does not give any problems with the sensors although the fitter did say that it may be a problem with an estate because they have a different rear bumper with less separation between the sensors and the tow ball position. Sorry this does not help you but may be of interest to any saloon owners reading this thread.

gattie
24-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi. I have just fitted a conventional tow bar to my 05 (highline) passat estate and guess what - every time I select reverse I too enjoy the non- stop warning sound. So I have decided to disconnect the sensor, but how??? I cannot find a dedicated fuse - any ideas gratefully received.

dubzter
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I have a 2004 Highline Saloon, I fitted a Westfalia detachable and have no issue with the sensors when the towball is attached. Just a pain when trying to reverse a trailer

joeripley0
28-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi. I have just fitted a conventional tow bar to my 05 (highline) passat estate and guess what - every time I select reverse I too enjoy the non- stop warning sound. So I have decided to disconnect the sensor, but how??? I cannot find a dedicated fuse - any ideas gratefully received.

Find the 'siren' and disconnect the wire.

Regards

Lemonslap
28-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Find the 'siren' and disconnect the wire.

Regards

that will be the rear audio speakers then....

joeripley0
29-10-2008, 09:35 AM
No, the reversing sound is emmited through a small sounder which is located below the rear shelf in the boot. It is a black plastic moulded unit with an integral 12v sounder. Here's a couple of pictures to aid you in your task (sourced from other audiforum);

gattie
31-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Many thanks. I will give that a go. I did try and put some sound absorbing material on the back of the tow bar - it did seem to make a little difference but looked bad.
Gattie

majordibs
10-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a 55 passat estate highline, same as yours. I fitted a brink fixed swan neck and it doesn't interfere with the factory sensors. Some times if the cap on the ball is slightly squint it does interfere. Try removing your cap if fitted?:D

sharantdi
16-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Have passat wagon 2007 mod with factory fitted reversing sensors. Couple of months ago I fitted non detachable tow bar and havn't have any problem at all with my sensors....