PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 gl tdi mk3 golf vs. t reg 1.4 306????????????????

welshdragon1611
15-01-2007, 03:29 PM
hey,just wondering which in your opinion would be faster, as i have just purchased the golf and my friend and i were wondering who has the faster car?also,what bhp does my golf have?(book doesnt include my model)
Thanks

RickT
15-01-2007, 03:42 PM
go on to www.parkers.co.uk (http://www.parkers.co.uk) and you can get all the info you require to get comparing.

Cheers

RicKT

welshdragon1611
15-01-2007, 03:51 PM
cheers mate,that website is exactly what i wanted,wish id put this up about 3hours ago,lol.what do you reckon to the race?

RickT
15-01-2007, 04:03 PM
which TDI is it?? 90BHP?? i would go golf.... but.. the golf will weight more than the 306 i bet...

the fact is... which is better to drive!!

Do a bit of research on that site and let us know your findings.

RickT

welshdragon1611
15-01-2007, 04:05 PM
yer,90 bhp.quicker to 60mph,higher top speed.better mpg.306 has 75 bhp.golf is great to drive,you got one?

RickT
15-01-2007, 04:09 PM
no.. Audi A4 B6 2002 and a new Polo... but they are good cars... built better than the french one of your mates..

RicKT

welshdragon1611
15-01-2007, 04:16 PM
cheers mate

Eshrules
16-01-2007, 06:34 PM
im gunna throw a spanner in the works, as always.... id think the 306 could give the golf a run for its money, dont forget, power doesnt overrule weight, the golf will be much heavier than the 306 which is a naturally lighter car anyway, with the 1.4 petrol being a lighter engine too, id probably ride my money on the golf IMO, a 75bhp 306 with a 90bhp golf, allowing for the turbo lag on the golf, id say to 60mph the 306 would see your golf.

welshdragon1611
17-01-2007, 10:52 AM
thats fair enough.i havnt got my golf on the road,as iv just bought it and it had SORN for the last month.tomorrow hopefully :D also,my car hasnt been driven for an unknown number of months, im guessing about 3months, and when i got it home,the brakes were awful,but from driving up my lane,they have dramatically improved. i have been advised that the discs maybe rusty, and so i have been trying to burn it off. i havnt yet looked to see if the discs are rusty and/or pitted.any idea what could be wrong?because i cant skid the wheels at 30mph(this maybe irrelevant,i dont know) cheers

Eshrules
17-01-2007, 02:53 PM
thats fair enough.i havnt got my golf on the road,as iv just bought it and it had SORN for the last month.tomorrow hopefully :D also,my car hasnt been driven for an unknown number of months, im guessing about 3months, and when i got it home,the brakes were awful,but from driving up my lane,they have dramatically improved. i have been advised that the discs maybe rusty, and so i have been trying to burn it off. i havnt yet looked to see if the discs are rusty and/or pitted.any idea what could be wrong?because i cant skid the wheels at 30mph(this maybe irrelevant,i dont know) cheers

why on earth would you WANT them to skid at 30mph? if this happend, would there be any point in having abs? the idea of abs is to stop the wheels locking up and reducing the chances of skidding, if you are just braking hard from 30mph to skid the car it probably wont happen.

2nd thing is, skidding the car wont mend rusty discs, if its surface rust, itll wear off gradually through use, if the discs are actually pitting then they need replacing, brakes are one of the things you cant afford to take a chance on...

welshdragon1611
17-01-2007, 04:00 PM
i dont know if it has abs, thats why i was wondering if i should be able to make it skid.and i know skidding wont improve the brakes, i was trying to skid to see if the brakes had improved

Eshrules
17-01-2007, 09:43 PM
i dont know if it has abs, thats why i was wondering if i should be able to make it skid.and i know skidding wont improve the brakes, i was trying to skid to see if the brakes had improved

LOL you are certainly welsh!!

first off, most 'modern' cars have abs and im fairly sure it was fitted as standard to all mk4 golfs? second, you shouldnt be trying to skid the car to see if the brakes have improved, if your concerned about the brakes, get it to a mot testing station and get a brake test done to see. you really dont wana be on the roads if you're using poor brakes :beerchug:

devonutopia
17-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I say neck and neck all the way. :D

A 1/4 mile calculator I used has the pug down as a 19.54 second (kerb weight assumed 1100kg, the 1.6 was 1120) and the golf 90 as a 19.74 (kerb weight 1360kg, closest match was a '98 pd100)

So 0.2 over a 1/4 mile is basically a "neck and neck" in my opinion. :D

NicholasP
18-01-2007, 09:38 AM
dont think the mk3 golf has ABS does it?

Eshrules
18-01-2007, 11:03 AM
dont think the mk3 golf has ABS does it?

slight oversight on my part there doh! :zx11: i thought he had a mk4, im not sure about mk3's i think some later models or higher spec would have had it fitted but the early standards probably wouldnt have had? ill consult parkers and get back to you!

NicholasP
18-01-2007, 11:38 AM
from memory...i think that any golf up to about 95/96 is not gonna have it. I know the new 97 vr6 highlines had it

when my dad bought a BMW in early 95, 525tds...i remember him being very excited that he had ABS so must have been a fairly new concept

welshdragon1611
18-01-2007, 01:47 PM
shut the **** up.why you commenting on whether or not im welsh when you cant even frickin read,its a pretty big mistake mixing up mk3 and mk4 on a discussion like this.and why wouldnt skidding be a good way,if you do an emergency stop you have to brake properly or you'll skid, so why isnt slamming your'e brakes a good way to see if the brakes are working?

NicholasP
18-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Look, if you've been driving the car up until your last post...and you're still alive. I think we can safely assume the brakes are working so this is no longer an issue!

(eshrules...your comment was rude.)

Eshrules
18-01-2007, 05:12 PM
shut the **** up.why you commenting on whether or not im welsh when you cant even frickin read,its a pretty big mistake mixing up mk3 and mk4 on a discussion like this.and why wouldnt skidding be a good way,if you do an emergency stop you have to brake properly or you'll skid, so why isnt slamming your'e brakes a good way to see if the brakes are working?

ok, firstly, the 'comment' was one of a 'fly by' nature, it was intended to be taken in good heart, as a joke. apoligies given for this not happening :beerchug: i dont have any problem with the welsh in particular, nor any other origin for that matter.

secondly, skidding your car on public roads purposely is not a good idea, for obvious reasons, it is unsafe, unless you do this as a profession how can you possibly begin to imagine the variables that can come into play when a car skids? your car could enter into an uncontrollable skid, there lies my concern.

i would invite any moderator to remove my comment if it proves to be derogatory in any way. i would re-iterate my earlier suggestion, if you are not confident you're brakes are functioning properly, get the car to a garage and get a proper test done on them, that is the only way to be %100 certain. IMO, id rather have that than end up possibly having an accident.

RickT
18-01-2007, 05:24 PM
if the pads and disc's look like there in a bad way, i would replace them, for the sake of about £40 trade price, its worth it, and then you know your safe..

One thing to add tho... if its just a little bit of build up and they are working correctly you "may" be ok. i know cars that have been stodd for 1 years and after a gently drive the build up wears off, Your biggest issue will be to check none of the capliers had stuck or binding, one easy way to check.. jack each corner up and check you can spin the wheels.. also while your there.. just check for any play in the wheel bearings..

if the cars has been SORN, for 3 months.. i would guess... maybe theres no MOT?? more than likley cars are placed as SORN when the TAX is out of date. More than likley the reason why the tax has not been renewed is due to a vaild MOT, (this is most the case on cars that age)

If you MOT requires re-doing, your worries will be solved on the brake proformance and checks.

ket us know how you get on!

RiCKT