PDA

View Full Version : Safe mode on car stereo

Maz
15-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Just bought the my first Audi, A4 on a V plate 99.
Loving the drive but no tunes yet as the display reads Safe when I turnit on.
The battery was flat when I got it but after jump starting it the car has been running fine.

I assume the stereo has reset cos the battery died, how do i get hold of the code to activate it or is there a universal one :Blush2:

Gavin78
15-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Maz,

If your A4 has the original stereo, the security code can be found in the pack containg your owner's manual & service history etc. If you do not have this pack then I think there are a few companies on the internet that you can send the head unit off to for decoding. If all else fails, the original Audi dealer that supplied the vehicle may have it on record or atleast point you in the right direction.

Maz
15-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Cheers for that will try the local dealer.

RickT
15-01-2007, 03:45 PM
if no code... Audi can get it for you of a cost of about £20... better than shipping the unit off..

RickT

Maz
15-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks RickT and gavin78, I just done a search on the web and there are companies that can send you the code but I will need to get the stereo out which I don't fancy doing and as you say Audi charge £20.
£20 isn't bad going really, may just do that and it is a half hour job:D

Cheers once again.

Eclipse car Audio
15-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Maz

I might be able to save you £20 as I have a programme that gives me the codes for most radios but it does mean removing the radio, what I need is the serial number that starts with AUZ 1Z4....... there should be a 7 digit number if you can get me this I have a go at it for you. The number may even be in your documentation somewhere.

Cheers

Maz
16-01-2007, 07:43 AM
now your talking, i will have a look over the weekend i think i saw that long number it was on a plastic tag?

Going to PM you the number

witm
24-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi mate,

I am having the same problem as the initial poster of the topic i found your name in. I replaced my car battery and now my Audi Concert stereo says SAFE.

When I bought the car I did not get the handbook or the code. I bought it second hand from a private dealer and never thought to ask for a code. I have rang the guy but he says he never got the handbook or the code either. I have rang Audi in Birmingham and for some reason they say they cant help me: The only way to reset the stereo is with the original code!

Please can you see if you can find my code from the serial number: AUZ2Z3B1317011.

Plus how would I put such a code in? The buttons do not seem to do anything on the stereo, all it sayds SAFE.

Many MANY thanks for your help,

Witm

witm
24-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Just realised this post is probably very old and you wont see it mate, I'll pm you, hope thats ok.

Froggy
24-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Audi dealer's CAN get you a number, they are just being unhelpful.

Maz
24-09-2007, 09:00 PM
if you show em £20 they become very helpful :-)

RickT
24-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Audi dealer's CAN get you a number, they are just being unhelpful.

yes, they can get you the code..

Your best off going in and going to the parts desk. One of the lads there will help you compared to a "Sales man"

RicKT

paul b
07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
They can give you the code. I bought mine in Manchester from independent garage with no code. Went to Audi because I was buying mudflaps anyway, took it with me, they gave me the code for free. They even gave me a print out with it on for future reference. Don't input a code anymore than 8 times or stereo will lock itself completely.
Paul