PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 Service Schedule Indicator

XES
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Anyone explain how this works? When I got the car it said service due in 9300mls. I have driven abt 700mls and it now says a service is due in 6100 mls? :1zhelp:

Lis
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Anyone explain how this works? When I got the car it said service due in 9300mls. I have driven abt 700mls and it now says a service is due in 6100 mls? :1zhelp:

No idea mine just says 'SERVICE !' - Any idea what that means?

Its done 65k and was last serviced at 63k so by my reckoning it won't need servicing until we get to 73k?!!

omegadirective
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
It probably just wasn't reset properly.

Obviously "SERVICE!" means it's time for it's periodic TLC trip, but I reckon it's just not had it's service indicator reset.

XES - As for the drop in mileage before servicing, I'm not entirely sure. Unless maybe your car has been able to distinguish some wear and tear somehow and adjusted a timing interval?

XES
08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
It probably just wasn't reset properly.

Obviously "SERVICE!" means it's time for it's periodic TLC trip, but I reckon it's just not had it's service indicator reset.

XES - As for the drop in mileage before servicing, I'm not entirely sure. Unless maybe your car has been able to distinguish some wear and tear somehow and adjusted a timing interval?

Thats what I was thinking, but I didn't think it was that intelligent or advanced?

omegadirective
08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Do you have the advanced DIS or just the normal one?

XES
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Do you have the advanced DIS or just the normal one?

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?!! Sorry! I presume that it means something like Display Indicator Screen or summat similar!! No idea..How would I find that out? :1zhelp:

omegadirective
08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
The Driver Information System (DIS). You were close! It provides readouts of certain things on your car. If it displays tyre pressure, oil level, etc then it's the advanced one, and depending on the year of your car it can be in colour, although I'm not sure if that costs extra for a colour display (probably!).

The standard DIS is pretty much the basics, will tell you when your service is due, if need to CHECK your oil (not the actual level), brake wear and probably loads of other things I don't even know it can do!

Best check your manual for the DIS information. I'd also recommend getting a mechy to look at the car (either an independant or the *******) and just ask them about the service indicator and whether the car needs a service. Any good ******* or independant will give you a quick glance over for free! (Just be wary of them as they might try and wangle a service out of you anyway!)

Best free bet is to check your manuals that came with the car! :D

XES
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
The Driver Information System (DIS). You were close! It provides readouts of certain things on your car. If it displays tyre pressure, oil level, etc then it's the advanced one, and depending on the year of your car it can be in colour, although I'm not sure if that costs extra for a colour display (probably!).

The standard DIS is pretty much the basics, will tell you when your service is due, if need to CHECK your oil (not the actual level), brake wear and probably loads of other things I don't even know it can do!

Best check your manual for the DIS information. I'd also recommend getting a mechy to look at the car (either an independant or the *******) and just ask them about the service indicator and whether the car needs a service. Any good ******* or independant will give you a quick glance over for free! (Just be wary of them as they might try and wangle a service out of you anyway!)

Best free bet is to check your manuals that came with the car! :D

Thanks for the info.. It looks like I just have the standard version, so Im still nowhere nearer to knowing the answer to my original query!! As for the servicing, my cousin runs a very good garage, just 5 mins from where I live, and he does ALL my work. So I know I get a good job done at a very good price, and no rip offs!!
:beerchug:

omegadirective
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Even better! I'm sure he'll be able to tell you whats up! :)

XES
10-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Even better! I'm sure he'll be able to tell you whats up! :)

Nope!! He doesn't know either!!! :biglaugh:

Sibbs
10-07-2008, 09:49 PM
From what I can understand from a friend of mine, btw mine does the exact same. (2002 TDI).

It gives the warning around say 9000 on a specific date and then calculates the milage daily upto the date of the service due date which it knows because it will be either 365 or 730 days since the last service or since the the last time that the DIS was reset. So on day 730 the milage should say 0 miles to service due.

Hope that makes sense.

XES
13-07-2008, 03:05 PM
From what I can understand from a friend of mine, btw mine does the exact same. (2002 TDI).

It gives the warning around say 9000 on a specific date and then calculates the milage daily upto the date of the service due date which it knows because it will be either 365 or 730 days since the last service or since the the last time that the DIS was reset. So on day 730 the milage should say 0 miles to service due.

Hope that makes sense.

It does make sense, thank you, and confirms, near enough, what I thought anyway.
Cheers!! :beerchug:

Audioslave
16-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi All

I have run a 2002 tdi 130 se for 4 years and the service indicator has always been all over the place. I was on 20k service intervals from new because of the oil that I used and was spot on for the first 2 services, then started to go up and down daily........depends how you drive it and what starts wearing first etc and the condition of the oil.

On the odd time the oil level light came on and I was driving late at night in the wilds of scotland or the NE I had to throw a bit of "non-standard" oil into the box (still synthetic) and that threw it out also.....or so Audi told me anyway :zx11:

There is a manual way to reset your own service indicators, but it throws it back to the 10k interval. If you need to know how then PM me and I will type out the print out I got from my mates garage. I know its a cheat, but if you get it serviced yourself out of warranty and you don't know how to reset it, it will negate that angry looking "SERVICE!" message :beerchug:

IME the service indicators are a little pants...............I did notice however, that towards the end when the service indicator shows less than 3k miles left to the next one that the fuel consumption was dramatically increased......perhaps the Audi techies have written a clever piece of code in there to change your fuel mix a little richer to make you go back into Audio to get it sorted ;)

Audioslave
16-07-2008, 04:58 PM
BTW the 20k service interval was called "variable service interval" by Audi................was always around 20k, but did differ by 3 to 4k when I was around 80 to 100k miles..... I guess less right foot = longer service intervals?