PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear

Eclipse car Audio
14-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi

I have a 96 A4 1.9 TDI Auto, I put a set of brand new Pirelli tyres on the front 8000 miles ago and after checking today they are already down to about 3mm they are the standard 15" alloys. Is this normal. I have a vectra 1.9 tDI company car which gets abused from the moment I start it in the morning to when I get home and the front tyres are lasting around 20K on that.

Any thoughts please:confused:

Boardboy
14-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Does the vectra do a lot of straight line stuff i.e Motorways? That could be why the've lasted a bit longer. 8k out of a set of tyres isn't great I must admit. Have you had the tracking checked on the A4?
Regards Boardboy

RickT
14-01-2007, 10:58 PM
is it full where across the tyre??? what PSI you running?

RicKT

Eclipse car Audio
14-01-2007, 11:09 PM
The Vectra does a mix of everything, the tracking was done when the tyres were put on and seem to be wearing quite evenly, they are running at 30PSI

Cheers

Teutonic_Tamer
06-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Pirelli tyres are utter pants, especially the P6000 range, which is probably what you have.

30 psi seems a little low, what does the sticker on the B pillar say.

For better mileage on your 15" rims, try the Michelin Energy E3A, OK they might be a few bob more than the Pirelli, but they will last much longer!

HTH, rgds

Niall76
06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a mate who uses Pirelli - most he ever got was about 10k.

Eclipse car Audio
06-03-2007, 08:49 PM
You'd think a make like Pirelli would last have got Yoko's on it now will see how long they last (and also try and persuade the wife to slow down a bit on roundabouts)

Teutonic_Tamer
07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
You'd think a make like Pirelli would last

Why, do you have some misplaced loyalty toward Pirelli. I'll say it again, Pirelli tyres (with the exception of the P-Zero) are awful: underdeveloped ancient technology, weak carcasses, poor rubber compounds. Their tyres are so bad, UK re-moulding companies refuse to use Pirelli, because the carcass has freqently failed!

There are significantly better tyres out there, and I don't just mean the premier brands like Michelin and Continental. Avon, Uniroyal, Vredstein, Fulda - even Dunlop are better than Pirelli. :aargh4:

have got Yoko's on it now will see how long they last (and also try and persuade the wife to slow down a bit on roundabouts)

Hmm . . . I don't think you will be enjoying any tyre longevity with your Yokos, either. They certainly don't last, and wet grip can be very iffy!