PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Need advice and experience

pastrybloke19
07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Hiya,

Well this is my first post so this should be interesting....

I am planning to get a new A4 Avant 2.0TDI and this will be the first new car I have ever bought, so I am a bit nervous to say the least! I think I have a list of about 100 questions at the moment, but I will keep it to just a few......

1) SE or S-line?
I like the idea of the LED lights, but having 'S-line' written all over the car doesn't sound that appealing. Is there anything that is really good in the S-line?

2) Has anyone got the Panoramic Sun roof? Is it good?

3) I am torn between Ice Silver or Phantom Black for a colour: Has anyone got some good pic's of an A4 Avant in this?

4) Sat Nav or not?
I want an in built system, but no touch screen? Can only use 5 digits on the post code? Doesn't sound that good.....

5) More of a winge than a real question.......:D
How come in car Sat nav/music systems are always about 2 years behind the rest of humanity? You can get super Sat Nav's (like Tom Tom), HDD/iPod/MP3 based Head units (like Sony) and a DAB radio's, for way, way less than £2k!
It just doesn't make sense to me: Audi = posh car, cutting edge. In car Sat Nav = posh'ish, but not cutting edge.

Please feel free to comment on one point or several. Any advice, thoughts or experiences would be lovely!

Cheers

browellm
07-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I think the S-line package is good value for what you get. If it was on the company car list here, I would have taken it. The badging is very discreet imo.

I would go with ice-silver, I think the car really suits that colour. Both are great though.

There are some current threads on built-in sat-nav, check those out. £2,000 is still daft though.

jcb
07-07-2008, 11:13 PM
you would have to pay me an awful lot of money to order and s-line. the fundamental difference is the lowered and stiffer suspension. not necessary for everyday driving. as a general all round family motor you cant go wrong with the SE. we had and A6 sport and hated it after the novelty wore off. so mcuh so we changed it to an SE by changing the suspensions. I know its all about personal preferrence but why suffer a harsh ride - yes the s-line will handle better round silverstone but on the crappy british roads you will whince everytime you go over a pothole !!! i reckon i could drive an SE on a timed run on a twisty road and match the time of an s-line. Audis handle well even in SE set up.

pastrybloke19
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
thanks for the advice.......

I think I will go for the SE and get a few extra extras......

:biglaugh:

B6Andy101
09-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Are you serious ??

If the S-Line is financially viable why wouldn't you go for it, you are getting a lot for your money. The ride is not as hard as you make out. I have sports suspension on a B6 at the moment and have no problems with the ride or comfort. As for S-Line badging it could not be any more discreet.

Granted the SE is a good looking car, the S-Line however is a real head turner.

At the end of the day it is like everything else, how much you want to spend and personal preference. Good luck with your decision making.....took me a while :D

pastrybloke19
09-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I think I am serious. The S-line adds about £3k to the price tag of a 2.0TDI; for that I can get Sat Nav, Parking sensors and some small extras.

I do like the look of the s-line, it has a good 'edge' look to it, but my budget is limited and my current thinking is that equipment would be better than the S-line.

Although saying all this, so far I have been changing my mind on an hourly basis! So who knows......

:-)

dorgan
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41519

Ice Silver

mkc
10-07-2008, 08:41 AM
It is a tricky question. I liked the idea of having all the extra nice bits inside such as the S Line steering wheel and half leather seats over things like Sat Nav. There are two badges on the new S Line on the wings and they are not very big or obvious at all. I also think that the £2.5K (plus VAT I guess) package for the S Line is worth it when you consider that on the SE you would have to add a £750 Xenon Plus package just to get those lights (I think they have removed this as an option now from the SE) Bigger wheels as well and the discreet body kit. Dont forget youll get a nice spolier on the Avant with the S Line

But, you will not see most of these features once you are behind the wheel, so if you have the money, £2.5K might be better spent on the inside of the car such as B&O, Sat Nav, driving aids etc.

I agree with the suspension being a bad idea on British Roads but I drive so few miles I wasnt really bothers and have actually asked for the harder/firmer 30mm drop S Line setup.

I do think that the price they charge for Sat Nav these days is stupid. Yes its nice all built in and funtions welll but its a whole lot of TomTom and you can take the TomTOm with you into another car or if you sell the Avant. Probably wont get much of your £2K back either

You will be happy with what ever you go for Im sure.

JBlues
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Hiya,

1) SE or S-line?
I like the idea of the LED lights, but having 'S-line' written all over the car doesn't sound that appealing. Is there anything that is really good in the S-line? I have ordered SE and added some extra bits. Whilst the LED DRL's look good on the S-Line, personally I am sick of sports suspension now after 6 years of driving Passat Sports and also the part-leather interior will end up in a right state with two rear car seats and the mess that goes in them!

2) Has anyone got the Panoramic Sun roof? Is it good? I have ordered this and have sat in a couple of new Avants at local dealers that both had these fitted. It looks good and works well. I am 6'3" and getting close to touching the roof when sat comfortably - it's a good job I'm thinning on top!

3) I am torn between Ice Silver or Phantom Black for a colour: Has anyone got some good pic's of an A4 Avant in this? You'll be lucky to see many pictures yet as they are only just arriving! I have gone for Aruba Blue and I am now wishing I had gone for Ice Silver!

4) Sat Nav or not?
I want an in built system, but no touch screen? Can only use 5 digits on the post code? Doesn't sound that good.....Naaah - we're a nation lost!

5) More of a winge than a real question.......:D
How come in car Sat nav/music systems are always about 2 years behind the rest of humanity? You can get super Sat Nav's (like Tom Tom), HDD/iPod/MP3 based Head units (like Sony) and a DAB radio's, for way, way less than £2k!
It just doesn't make sense to me: Audi = posh car, cutting edge. In car Sat Nav = posh'ish, but not cutting edge.

Please feel free to comment on one point or several. Any advice, thoughts or experiences would be lovely!

Cheers

Forget to mention - get the electrically operated boot closure - if nothing else it's great to watch!

pastrybloke19
18-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all you help, much appricated. This is the first car that I have ordered for my self and the advice was super useful.

As soon as the car turns up, I will pop a few pics online

D

:beerchug:

awtaylor
18-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Probably too late now but there are some pictures against my profile that show what I am expecting to receive in September.

mkc
18-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Looks great. I wanted a S Line Avant but due to the limits on my allowance I could only get the 120bhp 1.8T version. Which was fine for me (Ive got a light right foot and would very rarely have the boot full) but Arval said the 120bhp version was not available at the time to get a quote on and the 160version Avant I wasnt prepared to pay any extra so gone for a 160bhp 1.8 saloon!

You going for that colour too then?

awtaylor
18-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, it was a close call between Ice and Monza silver but Ice Silver won at the end of the day. I am sure that Aruba blue will look good too however my last two cars have been blue and I fancied a change.

pastrybloke19
19-07-2008, 10:25 AM
After all the thinking I have done to get the car 'perfect', I am now tempted to get it in Phantom Black! :confused:

Why are there so many nice colors!!!!!!! :biglaugh: