PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pedal Snapped

Ricky_TT
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

Was driving home yesterday and as I put my foot down on the pedal I heard a horrible crunching noise and a load of plastic crap came tumbling down the footwell. The AA did a temp fix, but obviously need to get it sorted.

Can anyone tell me how much they might think this will cost? The garage I am speaking to said the master Cylinder might be damaged as well - could this be the case?

Any ideas would be most welcomed.

amz
13-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey Ricky, shocking that you had this problem just a few days ago, because my Golf clutch pedal snapped too yesterday evening in Kent.

The RAC mechanic came but couldn't do a temp fix, and said that the pedal had been welded and it gave in. I was given a courtesy car yesterday and my Golf's on its way to me in Birmingham now.

Can you let me know what the AA guy did for the temp fix, and where best to get it repaired, plus what sort of cost I'm looking at?? Thanks

Crasher
14-07-2008, 10:54 AM
It is a common problem on six speed Golf 4/A3/TT etc with the larger diameter clutch which requires a higher pedal pressure. The (right hand drive) pedal is 1J2 721 319 C and costs less than £21.14 from any VAG dealer plus you will need the mounting clip 1H0 721 357 that is 68 pence and possibly the switch operating pad which breaks, 1J2 721 332 A at £1.96. It takes just under an hour to do if you know what you are doing and have done one before.

amz
14-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply Crasher. I bought the pedal from VW for £22.20, and the 2 caps for £2.06 and 72p (inc vat).

I took the parts to my local garage, and they phoned me at midday saying that the Clutch Cylinder also needs replacing, as its bent the rod. 3 of my local VW dealers (in Birmingham) had the part out of stock, so I sourced it from EuroCarParts, but the mechanic said that the rod length is "too short".

He's going to try straighten the existing rod with pliers and hopefully fix it. Is this acceptable? They've been working on it since 11am, on & off. I personally think they haven't got a clue, but not many garages were willing to take on the job this morning - earliest VW could fix it was Wednesday (no good to me).

Am dreading to find out what the damage is.

Crasher
14-07-2008, 05:14 PM
PM me your reg number.