PDA

View Full Version : Bulb failure

moptisam2
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Yesterday, whilst out driving, the "bulb monitor/bulb failure" (page 33 of the May 2008 Owner's Manual) appeared. However, as opposed to the symbol on page 33, mine had a red cross and not a yellow one.

I decided not to ring the garage where I bought the car from since, being new, their mechanics may not have seen this phenomenon, and decided to ring Audi Central Customer Service.

Guess what? I was told that they don't know what the symbol is, and they only work with the same owner's manuals that are given to customers.

Before I write to Audi Germany to try and get an answer, and also vent my anger on the lack of support (again) from Audi England (at least the offer could have been made to find out what the symbol means and get back to me!) I thought I would ask you guys if anybody has seen this symbol and if he/she knows what it means. It obviously has something to do with the lighting, but I don't know what.

Thanks to any assistance.

digigriffin
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I cannot find the red bulb monitor detailed either.

On page 31 of the manual....

The Red symbols indicate a Priority 1 (serious malfunction)

On page 35 of the manual ....

Yellow symbols indicate a Priority 2 fault.

A Yellow bulb monitor indicates...

"... one of the turn signals, headlights, rear lights, fog lights or rear fog light is not working".

So maybe a Red bulb monitor indicates that the bulb monitor itself is not working?

_steve
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
i would have thought the on-board diagnostics would have told you what was happening - my current Seat Altea has blown its first bulb in three years of ownership, and i get a message on the red MFD (Right rear brake light defective) as i start the car, and a yellow bulb symbol lit in the instruments all the time - i thought it was quite nice that the car tells me which bulb to hunt around and replace, but miffed me that it only had another 2 or 3 weeks to last! LOL :)

moptisam2
08-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks to both of you.

Could be digigriffin - I'll see what Audi Germany says.

Steve - Yes. The DIS may have flashed something up, but I didn't see anything and I haven't yet found a function that allows you to call up such messages.

Isn't it a shame that Audi UK doesn't seem to have a clue?

moptisam2
18-07-2008, 04:35 AM
I've had a final reply from Audi Germany.

It looks like the symbol with the red X is the same as the symbol with the yellow one - to get you to check the lights for a problem.

Funny, I couldn't get them to actually admit that the yellow X on the symbol on p 33 of the handbook is a printing mistake, and it should be red, even though I asked that specific question, but it seems it is.

If anyone has the warning light appear on the dashboard and remembers this thread, pls let me know what colour the X is on top of the yellow bulb symbol.

Thanks