PDA

View Full Version : just got mk4 golf 1.8 gti t what probs are there??

craigandleanne
06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
hi all ive just purchased a mk4 golf gti t 1.8 its done 82 k, its been fitted with 19s and im getting a knocking sound when locking over to the right, any ideas of what could be causing this??

also its gagging for a service which will be done tomorrow, at this milage what oil should be used? what are the best plugs to use? and when should the cam belt be done ? (80k ish??) there are no engine mods on it which i am pleased about, its pretty standard apart from the wheels and tints. are there any other problems i can expect to come up against??

thank you all for you help!! :beerchug:

Crasher
06-07-2008, 01:58 PM
The knocking noise could be a seized top mount, corroded and failing anti roll bar on the inner bush mounts, broken spring, worn ball joint, loose or worn anti roll bar links, worn track rod/end, loose wheel bearing nut, or faulty outer CV joint-roughly in order of possibility. Also, the Golf 4 can rub when using 19’s, especially when 235/40 19 tyres are used. To get the rolling radius of a 19” tyre close to the ideal of around 315 to 320-mm, a 225/35 19 tyre must be used.

You should ask your garage to use genuine VAG Longlife III oil and a genuine VAG oil filter but still change these on an annual interval. The 1.8T engine is extremely prone to oil pressure problems due to sludge build up in the sump and this will write off the engine and the turbo. Using Longlife III and annual changes will help reduce the chances of this happening. Also you should never shut sown your engine immediately after a high speed run, allow it to idle for a few minutes to allow the turbo to cool down, so reducing the likelihood of the oil boiling in the turbo as this is the major cause of sludge in the sump.

I stick to the VW recommended NGK plug but the number depends on the engine code, AGU, ARZ, AUM or AUQ.