PDA

View Full Version : Coupe ignition / locking problems ?!

Firesnake
02-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Hello all.
I've recently been lucky enough to grab my dream car- a 91 Coupe.
I drove it hundreds of miles home, but, I've left it waiting 2 months for tax & insurance- occasionally running it around the block and it was perfect starting etc.

I now go to start it, and a loud, harsh & speedy clicking noise (relay?) comes from the area of the gearbox during turning, but no indication of a start.

My problem is that there are 3 immobiliser settings (the red light either on, off or flashing)- I'm not sure what each display means.
It only seemed to start when fully on last time (but which locks the doors aswell).

So I pressed the fob buttons again and on turning this time, a hissing started from the rear drivers side which lasted a few minutes even without the key inserted.
I tried again and the car decided to lock me in for a while which was a bit scary - it was baking hot and I was on my own without a phone.
The handles didn't override the locks until I forced the passenger door for a third time.

What on earth is going on?
Is it the battrey is going flat and so it's going haywire perhaps?
I fear next time I try it I'll get locked in a dead car!

Any ideas peeps??

Firesnake
02-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok, I've just tried again, and this time it seems the locking is not so much a problem- I think the passenger and drivers doors were out of synch.

The flickering/clicking noise is still there instead of the engine turning, buuut, now at rest I can hear the sound of the indicators blinking from under the left of the dash with no ignition on- no lights blinking inside or out though.
Its nuts!

stuart
03-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi, Thanks for joining and posting on the site :)

VERY STANGE! only thing I can think is the battery is either flat or very low, this would cause the relays to "click" but do nothing, like wise, if there is a small amount of power in the battery, the starter will "click" but not engage.

I will have a word with a VAG technicion pal of mine and see if he can say what is wrong.

Stuart

Firesnake
03-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi, yep I'll be showing my face around here, hopefully when everything gets sorted and freshened up for the summer months.

I imagine it is battery related but didn't realise it affects so much (my first VW/Audi with full electrics).
Its not the usual dying 'click' but more a rapid fire volley of sharp clicks.

Anyway I'll give it a charge and see whats what- still sussing her out.
Cheers.

stuart
03-05-2005, 02:07 PM
I have also know the alarm siren to make a "click" sound when the battery is low.

Stuart