PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Octavia 90bhp 1.9TDI Jumps Out Of 1st Gear!

Browny_37
05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi ppl

Looking for some advice, recently i went to look at the newer shape 2004 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI 90BHP.

Now the major concern, is that coming onto the overrun. You can see the gearstick creeping towards neutral, then jumps out.
There is no problems in any of the other gears, going from accelerating to overrun in all gears bar 1st doesn't yield a problem.
No crunching or whining noises, while driving either.
Not good for crawling in traffic, does anybody know what the problem maybe?

Its had a recent clutch and flywheel change, and its leading me to think that it maybe a engine mount or something to play on the linkages.
The car has high mileage, but that doesn't deter me.....pulls like a train and no heavy oil or fuel smoke.
Can anyone help me define what it maybe?

Many Thanks In Advance!

greg123
16-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I'd be tempted to say it's the gearbox. However it's possible it's the dogbone rear mount, get some powerflex or similar bushes for it.

I would do that and drop the box oil into a clean pan and examine it and the drain plug for metal particles and silvery oil. If you find the latter, it will probably be best for you to find a new box - 2nd hand with under 100k on it should be fine. New oil in it once it's fitted and away you go.

Greg.

Hi ppl

Looking for some advice, recently i went to look at the newer shape 2004 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI 90BHP.

Now the major concern, is that coming onto the overrun. You can see the gearstick creeping towards neutral, then jumps out.
There is no problems in any of the other gears, going from accelerating to overrun in all gears bar 1st doesn't yield a problem.
No crunching or whining noises, while driving either.
Not good for crawling in traffic, does anybody know what the problem maybe?

Its had a recent clutch and flywheel change, and its leading me to think that it maybe a engine mount or something to play on the linkages.
The car has high mileage, but that doesn't deter me.....pulls like a train and no heavy oil or fuel smoke.
Can anyone help me define what it maybe?

Many Thanks In Advance!

Browny_37
22-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd be tempted to say it's the gearbox. However it's possible it's the dogbone rear mount, get some powerflex or similar bushes for it.

I would do that and drop the box oil into a clean pan and examine it and the drain plug for metal particles and silvery oil. If you find the latter, it will probably be best for you to find a new box - 2nd hand with under 100k on it should be fine. New oil in it once it's fitted and away you go.

Greg.

Been a while since i posted, turned out to be worn synchro and 1st and 3rd gears shaft was worn out due to a lack of gearbox oil.
The independant dealer had the box refurbished and ive just done the top side of 6000 miles and its fine and dandy now!

greg123
22-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Glad you got it fixed. How much did the repair cost? 2nd hand boxes are around £100-£200.

Greg.

Browny_37
24-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Well, it was something the independant dealer said they would fix before i bought the car.
Ended up in the region of £400 but i didnt have to pay out for that! :D

Comes with a 12month warrenty too.

Shame my turbo's just broken up at 125k! :(

Btw found out my cars a PD105 not the 90bhp i thought it was

greg123
24-12-2008, 01:15 AM
Broken, or needs the VNT rebuilding due to limp home mode/over or underboosting?

Glad you didn't have to pay for the gearbox repair, did you get a warranty with it?

Greg.

Browny_37
24-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Was overtaking on the motorway, it was pulling nice...hesitated and carried on. No immediate EML lights, slowed down a little and pulled back in. Started to apply throttle again and the car wouldnt go any faster than it was already doing.

About 10miles after limping it on with no lights on the dash it flagged a code up around 1 mile from home.
Had it looked at today and it appears the vanes may have been sticking, and whilst looking for the vanes, turns out they had actually dissapeared. Assuming they've overheated over time and melted, as there no longer there! Im possibly thinking that the Coolant Temp Sensor could be partially at fault as i do have a hot starting issue. So possibly its been overfuelling slightly, but assumed something was up 3 months since when the actual turbo started picking up speed while it was idling, a quick blip on the throttle and that stopped for another min.

Was reffering to the fault as a boost pressure regulation : control range not reached.
On VCDS is was asking for 2200millibar of pressure, the turbo was supplying around 870millibar (amospheric pressure or there abouts).
But heard stories that the N75 within the valve block can make the turbo appear to be dead, so i changed that out for a new one that i got from Skoda with around 30% discount.
Didnt make a difference, but now does mean ive got a spare at least if the new one ive put on decides to let go.
So its booked in on the 29th to be repaired with a re-conditioned turbo at what i believe is a reasonable price, as ive seen re-con VNT15 turbos on ebay for £650!

The gearbox came with a 12 month warrenty, the car its self has had some hammer seat ripped and generally bits of trim broke that im slowly sorting. Its been a company car and was averaging 18k every 3months at one point.

But what can i say, comparing it to my Mk4 Astra Coupe Turbo i had before its been flawless in terms of reliability, the astra was riggled with problems and i lost interest.
Enjoy driving the Skoda and think maybe if it lasts another 2-3 years without a great deal of trouble then that will do me fine.
Its now on 125k and turned 4 years old at the beginning of december.

greg123
24-12-2008, 10:37 AM
1) when you say it flagged a code up, how do you know? Do you drive with vcds plugged in?
2) how do you know that the vanes are melted. I find this highly unlikely, expecially given that you cannot see the vanes, at all, without strippng the turbocharger down. They are buried in the exhaust manifold side and you have to both remove the assembly and then split the core and remove the stainless VNT ring to get to them.

It won't hurt to recon the turbo, although that could well be overkill. The £650 is around 3 times more than a basic full rebuild cost for a reconditioned turbo at the right place. It's fairly straightforward to run a N75 output test onto a vac gauge and eliminate any control issues.

There are also products such as Innotec Turbo Clean which Crasher has been having good luck with, although my money is still on a proper remove and repair if it's bad (see a lot rusted up quite badly) to future proof it. But as the turbo clean is around £30 and reasonably diy one can't argue with trying!

Greg.

Was overtaking on the motorway, it was pulling nice...hesitated and carried on. No immediate EML lights, slowed down a little and pulled back in. Started to apply throttle again and the car wouldnt go any faster than it was already doing.

About 10miles after limping it on with no lights on the dash it flagged a code up around 1 mile from home.
Had it looked at today and it appears the vanes may have been sticking, and whilst looking for the vanes, turns out they had actually dissapeared. Assuming they've overheated over time and melted, as there no longer there! Im possibly thinking that the Coolant Temp Sensor could be partially at fault as i do have a hot starting issue. So possibly its been overfuelling slightly, but assumed something was up 3 months since when the actual turbo started picking up speed while it was idling, a quick blip on the throttle and that stopped for another min.

Was reffering to the fault as a boost pressure regulation : control range not reached.
On VCDS is was asking for 2200millibar of pressure, the turbo was supplying around 870millibar (amospheric pressure or there abouts).
But heard stories that the N75 within the valve block can make the turbo appear to be dead, so i changed that out for a new one that i got from Skoda with around 30% discount.
Didnt make a difference, but now does mean ive got a spare at least if the new one ive put on decides to let go.
So its booked in on the 29th to be repaired with a re-conditioned turbo at what i believe is a reasonable price, as ive seen re-con VNT15 turbos on ebay for £650!

The gearbox came with a 12 month warrenty, the car its self has had some hammer seat ripped and generally bits of trim broke that im slowly sorting. Its been a company car and was averaging 18k every 3months at one point.

But what can i say, comparing it to my Mk4 Astra Coupe Turbo i had before its been flawless in terms of reliability, the astra was riggled with problems and i lost interest.
Enjoy driving the Skoda and think maybe if it lasts another 2-3 years without a great deal of trouble then that will do me fine.
Its now on 125k and turned 4 years old at the beginning of december.