PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Advice for Newbie please

Agar
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

Next Saturday i will be taking delivery of a mint GTI Anniversary in Tornado Red - the car is generally very clean and i would like to detail it once i get it. I have detailed my current car (Moonstone Silver) but would like some more advice of what products and methods to use, so bear with me please:

Wheels - Can someone recommend me a good de-greaser/cleaner to rid the wheels of any brake dust/road grime? I was also thinking about claying the wheels before applying my PoorBoys Wheel Sealant. What clay and lube is best to use for alloys?

Interior - The interior is mainly scratch free but is now 5 years old and could do with a freshen up. I would like to treat all the plastics and door seals but don't want them to appear "shiney" and cheap. I'm after a natural look coating/protector for the plastics. Are there any good brushes i can use to get into the hard to reach areas? I currently have Durgloss 201 spray for my leather gearknob and steering wheel - is this good enough? Ive heard people recommend liquid leather before. Again i want the leather to look factory fresh and not shiney. The current interior carpet mats could do with a shampoo, which is best to use for this and what method do i use? Finally for the interior, in the boot there is a spillage of oil/muck, what can i use to clean this?

Engine Bay - I would like to degrease the engine, then treat the plastics and protect them against further coverings of dirt. Is "Muc off" ok to use to clean the bay?

Exterior - In general the exterior paint is in good condition with little swirling, but i would still like to improve on it, and make the paint shine very deeply. For my current car (silver) i still have:

Prima Amigo
Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish
Poor Boys SSR2
Poor Boys Spray and Wipe

I would like to re-use these whereever possible, however is there anything different i should be using for the red paint?

There are a few deep scratches in the paint where the driver's door shut is - how should i treat these?

Any recommendations of where to get the suggested products from are also welcome.

Thanks,

Agar

DEBBIE.G
07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Hello poorboys is good for interior plastics or aerospace 303.
Have you got a machine poliser? If not it is worth getting it done by someone who has.
Id use a strong clay on your wheels or Autosmart tardis or a non acidic wheel cleaner then a sealant on top.
I use zymol leather conditioner on my seats it good.
Areospace on plastics in engine bay.
Cheers
Where are you?