PDA

View Full Version : webber man choke conversion

watty
13-01-2007, 09:48 PM
changed old peirburg to a 2e2 man choke.. 1600 mk2 rocco.. now car goes ok for some of journey then like a burst **** and cuts out.. timing is spot on.. im stuck help.. could it be carb is jetted for 18? or mixture or wahhhh i duno .. cheers watty

calum
15-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Get a webber carb and put that on,take the pierburg and throw it as far as you can.Those carbs are the biggest piece of crap known to man!I had a j reg jetta with that carb on it and it never ran right.Very prone to carb icing as well as all there other traits.If the carb ices it will choke out and stall,it will remain running for a short while, if you floor the throttle.Normal service is resumed once the heat from the engine defrosts the frozen petrol,but it will just do it again!It doesn't need to be that cold for it to happen,the wind chill is enough to make it happen.cheers Calum

watty
15-01-2007, 06:56 PM
cheers dude

i put on new carb from europarts £214.50,, havn trouble setting it up..car duz a bit of coughin and then runs ok.. man choke workin as it should..could it b float height or jetting? runs for days ok then starts its **** agen ....

calum
15-01-2007, 07:14 PM
If it was the jetting,it wouldn't run right at all.Is there any consistency with the problem i.e cold days,warm days,long / short journeys.Have a look at the ignition system,plugs/gap.coil connections,battery connections,Also check if there is any perishing on the inlet rubber (the bit the carb bolts on to)they are bad for air leaks.Check any rubber vacuum hoses for splits.Could there be a problem with the fuel filter,ie dirty or partially clogged.Don't think float height matters too much,it would only affect it if you were driving like you stole it all the time.I think the most obvious thing is carb icing though,as we have had some really chilly winds recently.The air filter is supposed to draw warm air off the top of the exhaust manifold when it's cold,but once a car is this kind of age the valve that controls it is usually knackered,so it draws cold air ,result = carb icing.It will start to run lumpy,like three or maybe two cylinders firing then it will start to stall,it will pick up if you floor it that's because it's getting fuel from the second choke,which hasn't iced up "YET"hope this helps Calum.

passat boy
02-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Watty,have you with the airbox off checked with the engine warm if the auto choke is fully open as i know most from new are set for full choke which means with a warm engine the choke flap is still nearly half closed and can cause a rich burn and choking etc.it takes 3 screws to loosen the flap for adjustment but set it with the engine cold(prefrebly the next day).Just move the throttle till the flap closes then adjust it from there,usually leave it 3/4 closed as winter is almost a thing of the past like cold -0*tempretures.this will be good enough to idle your car in winter and open fully sooner rather then flood your engine with petrol killing off your engine.just as a thought,my old mk2 passat 5 cylinder had a similar problem and all tests came up empty but on removing the manual petrol pump(mounted on cylinderhead)like i think you have,fuel was fine veiwed through a clear tube bridged to veiw the flow even at full revs.the moral is i suspected the manual pump as the filter&lines were clean and after replacing the pump all was 100% but before this i had fine driving then all of a sudden bucking and near choking then all would be fine at idle and even reving the *?@:><*&^%$£"!!!! out of it and after driving off same problem so check your pump.