PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Leon 1.6 16v eating batteries.

ljl2007
04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Hello

:1zhelp:

Please can somebody help me??

I have the a 2002 Seat Leon which has a couple of problems which I suspect may be related. The problem came to light a few days ago, firstly the car would not start, it had been stood for approximately 30 mins. I called the breakdown recovery people who diagnosed a failed battery, jump started the car and dvised me to take the car to a garage to get the car checked out which I did immediately. I left the car with them overnight, they did some checks and agreed that the battery had failed. The battery which had failed is only about 8 months old (good quality blue coloured bosch item apparently?). The garage did comment on the sound of a pump somewhere under the rear of the car upon opening the drivers door (not when opening any other doors). This whirring sound can continue from 15 seconds upto 1 hour +. We were led to believe that this was a normal occurence when we bought the car 10 months ago, our local garage believes this is not normal and is probably caused by an air leak somewhere but cannot find this (no faults shown on the diagnostic checks). Is there a likely place where this may occur on the Leon (or any of other similar VAG vehicles) Sorry for rambling on but I need some assistance on this as the car is driving me mad!!!

Cheers

P.s the car always seems to flatten it's battery when in a garage on a ramp being repaired. I.e with the doors unlocked and the key in the ignition to keep the steering free.

Crasher
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
The noise you can hear is the fuel pump priming and this is triggered by opening the driver’s door and should run for 3 or four seconds at the most. If it is running for longer there is a problem with the system, possibly with the fuel pump relay. The garage needs to be much more scientific about this. You obviously have either a high parasitic drain or a charging problem so they need to diagnose which it is and proceed accordingly.

ljl2007
04-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that Crasher, what you suggest would possibly fit in with another sympton. That being that if I open the door, the pump runs as described as mentioned earlier, I put the keys in the ignition, turn to the second position (where the ignition lights etc come and and many cars then start priming their fuel pumps) I have had a quite rapid clicking from within the dashboard (sounds like a fast indicator noise) in the past. Could the fuel pump working in this way possibly cause batteries to get ruined so quickly?

Cheers

Crasher
04-07-2008, 11:36 PM
That could be a faulty fuel pump relay. Can you PM me your chassis number, engine code and model code, i.e. 1M1 XXX ? If not the reg number will do.

ljl2007
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Crasher,

Just getting my post count upto 5 before I can PM people who aren't forum staff members.

The info you asked for will be available shortly.

Only 2 more to go.

ljl2007
05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
1 more to go

ljl2007
05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Info coming soon

STEWY L
05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
1 more to go
don't be shy,post again.
you need help.
stewy.

Crasher
05-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I think you should start by changing the fuel pump relay. This is relay 409 and is located under the dashboard on the main relay plate. It is available form VW under the part number 1J0 906 383 C and costs £45.09.