PDA

View Full Version : Clocked Mileage

j4s0n88
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi, i bought a 2004 plate 1.9tdi golf two weeks back. It had 50k miles on the clock, with all service up to 40k. HPI'd all came back fine, but after close looking on logbook etc all seems a bit dodgy.

Just had it vagcom'd the person reckons its been clocked, all dash etc been removed and back of clock must b damaged as "error" message on dash due to "Instrument Panel" and "Temperature Sender" fault codes, which he reckons the pins on back of clock been damaged....does this sound right?

Also would this affect the running of car other than not telling me when i need a servicr?

XES
04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Doesn't matter whether it affects the running surely? The cars a wrong'un. Can you not take it back where you bought it from?

j4s0n88
04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
ive heard that the police cant do anything about it, the person i bought it off is "supposidly" a trader, after contacting him the first time he now appears to have his phone switched off and i believe he has changed his number!!!

STEWY L
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
ive heard that the police cant do anything about it, the person i bought it off is "supposidly" a trader, after contacting him the first time he now appears to have his phone switched off and i believe he has changed his number!!!
are you saying that you can't leave this in the hands of the authorities?
surely this is wrong somewhere?
stewy.

j4s0n88
04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I am going to look into it all, i hope so as otherwise ive lost alot of money!!! But also its LEGAL to adjust mileage if the new owner is informed, so this could have been done before i had the car but they are hardly going to admit it now! It cant have been altered much as paper work up 2 41,000 miles an i bought it at 50k 9 months later.

XES
05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I am going to look into it all, i hope so as otherwise ive lost alot of money!!! But also its LEGAL to adjust mileage if the new owner is informed, so this could have been done before i had the car but they are hardly going to admit it now! It cant have been altered much as paper work up 2 41,000 miles an i bought it at 50k 9 months later.

No its not legal to adjust the mileage, whether the new owner is informed or not. Unless its because new instruments have been fitted or similar legit reasons, it seems like this has been done to deceive. You can go to your local trading standards, they may have something on him. Alternatively, turn detective yourself and ask around. Someone will know him, ask other more legit traders. They hate people like that, and keep an eye out for adverts similar to the one you answered. If he's done it once he'll do it again.

Its up to you at the end of the day, but I wouldn't be happy to let it rest unless I had done absolutely everything I could to find him. :zx11:

j4s0n88
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes ive been looking for adverts similar to his on auto trader, but like he's changed his number already, hes going to be quite hard to find im sure. Im thinking about going around to the previous owners an seeing what the mileage was when they handed it over

mluton
05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Doesn't your HPI certificate cover you ?

dieselman580
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
hello,
was it on a forecourt or from the blokes house where you bought it?