PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke.

racer
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi there people i just bought an volkswagon golf fitted with a audi tt 1.8lt turbo engine running 280bhp.
The problem is that ever since i got the car is the black smoke coming out the exhaust. I have no idea what is causing this can any one help me please with ideas. There is no shortage of power from the car just black smoke.

T3RBO
06-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Sound like a gasket or something... Did the conversion work come with a warranty?

Georgeb
28-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Black Smoke! Sounds like its running too rich esp as its been tweeked to 280bhp as the standard engine was either 180 or 225bhp (difference between the 2 the 225 was remapped by Audi plus it had an extra turbo intercooler).

it sounds very much as if the upgrade to 280bhp was not a "true" remap but merely the system altered to overfuel thus the black smoke (usually done by fooling the ECU into thinking the engines running colder than it actually is, thus injecting more fuel)

But you really need to find out who did the conversion & if they used the TT's ECU & how they went about remapping it