PDA

View Full Version : A4 buying advice

bonafide
13-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Hallo...New member, first post. In fact, first time I've joined a forum of any kind!

Always been a VW driver, from beach buggys to polos and golfs. ( is there anyone that hasn't owned a polo at some point?). I'm looking at an Audi A4 at the mo. Just after a bit of advice regarding a few probs before I break out the cash. It's a clean looking P reg 1.8, 103K with full audi history. Drives nice but has a few electrical issues. 1)Central locking works but not from the key fob. 2)Airbag light stays on on the dash for at least a couple of minutes after starting. Any advice on whether these things point to major probs very gratefully recieved. Also...any idea what a service with cam belt would set me back?

Cheers in advance for any help on this, and any other buying info.
PS The cars up for £1,550.

RickT
13-01-2007, 08:13 PM
from the bit of info abour sounds like a ok buy...

1st point - remote, do both remotes not work?? could this be a simple battery issue??

2nd Point - Cam belt... check the service history.. it should have been done around 60-70k.... if so... just add about 65-70k to that figure...

CAM belt will cost you at a LOCAL garage about £300 all in... service... about £100 i guess,,, (oil filter, Air Filter and oil change, maybe a pollen filter, but you can do that yourself...

I service mine my self and it costs me about £40 in parts in time..

Cheers and Welcome to the forum!!

RicKT

bonafide
13-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Cheers RickT

Sounds promising. Any ideas regarding the airbag light staying on?

RickT
14-01-2007, 01:25 AM
could be a few things.... or thing... ie... it can be just a sensor which is failing and not working on start up.. and then when you set off a connect is made and the singal flows knocking the light out..

Best option is on VAG-COM.. then you get a logg of all codes and know which parts at fault

Cheers

RicKT

patrick
20-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Try replacing the battery in the FOB. The airbag is scary though. I would have that inspected at a dealer first. If it was a little sensor on the engine or something like that it's not a big deal. An airbag error is a big safety issue.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.audia4mods.com)