PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hi...

SideshowBob
26-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi all

Got a Golf GT-TDI 115 a couple of weeks ago, so far it's been great, even though there have been a few little niggles. The dealer is sorting out some paint chipping under the rear windscreen which I've not seen on any other golf so we suspect it may have had a rear window replaced at some point which led to the paint failing near the window seal. Apart from that, it pulls almost as well as my old impreza did and is getting 50mpg+ on my 70 mile round trip commute.

The only thing I'm struggling to adjust to is the handling, it's really nose-heavy and with soft suspension & lots of body roll. I had a play with an RX8 last night, and although he was surprised how well my tractor was keeping up on accelleration, come the roundabouts I couldn't stay anywhere near him. My last runaround was a 106 Rallye, which was light and had proper go-kart handling. I've been reading a lot about how anti-roll bars are supposed to make quite a difference, likewise people have said that fitting some 17's tightens the handling up a bit too. The main thing for me is I don't want to lose the smooth motorway ride as that's where most of my driving is. If anyone has any suggestions on that one please pipe up.

Catch ya later

stuart
28-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi, Welcome to VWAudi Forum ;)

Glad to here you like the TDi, the diesel engines are excellent units in terms of performance and economy, only real problems we see are MAF sensors, or air flow meters, whichever terminology you use.

Not sure on the Golf, but I have heard people fit strut braces from Audi S3 which are supposed to make a difference, both top and bottom, or you could look at suspension upgrades, I do know fitting Bilstien "sport" shocks are a good choice, although there are many others avaialble, such as Koni etc.

Thanks again for posting you message

Stuart