PDA

View Full Version : Check for Dents !

_steve
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Heard from the local dealer today about a freak hail storm at Emden - the port where VAG group cars are shipped from - 30,000 cars have been held back from being shipped so they can be checked for damage - some have bodywork dings or glass damage.

the bbc had a news item about it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7477849.stm

Dealer said that VW, Skoda, Seat, & Audi's were affected, not just VW - his dealership has 40 cars being held back for inspection and repair, the storm happened on the 22nd, and my car was built early this week, so the delaer said that i shouldn't see any hold up in the delivery. (phew!)

If you're expecting your car in the next couple of weeks though, ask your dealer to see if your's has been affected by these giant hail-stones, although i doubt that any Audi car would be shipped without perfect bodywork, even after a repair, so any signs of damage will be fixed 100%

JBlues
03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice one - should have ordered Ice Silver, there's snow knowing what a phantom black will cover looking like......maybe a reveresed dalmation!

mluton
03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Ouch!

kevspi
03-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Their just sanding down my new roof as we speak :D

Gibbo123
04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Damn!! (Edited response!!) :mad:. Just had a call from my dealer - my car is one of the 12000 Audi's affected. Delivery time of mid to end July has now been pushed back by 5 - 6 weeks, still to be confirmed, while they assess all the damaged vehicles.

Compensation? As mine is a company purchase they are offering a replacement car from mid-July, which we have to insure, until mine is ready. For info - if I was a private customer then I would have a choice of the car or £500.

jkh112
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
My colleague at work took a phone call from our lease company to say his A4 has also been delayed from mid July by up to 6 weeks due to the hail. My A4 however is still due at the dealers next week.

kevspi
04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I rang my man at Newcaslte Audi today and he said 6 of his customers were affected, luckily mine survived. He said the reason for the extra long delay for those who are affected is that each cars roof is covered in that protective plastic and needs to be removed inside and dents need to be inspected under UV light. It must be a logisical nightmare. The only small silver lining is people who are waiting might sneak into the 58 reg.

barreb
13-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Any updates on this? Audi dealership avoiding my calls.:zx11:

Gibbo123
14-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I received a call from my dealer last Friday to update me on my car. Apparently it is now "on ship" and I should be able to collect it in 7 - 10 days!! :D

I can only assume that either it wasn't damaged or, if it was, it was only something minor. My original est. delivery date was 18th July so hardly any delay.

Fingers crossed that others waiting for their cars get a simillar message soon.

barreb
14-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Spoke to dealership today. I get the impression that VAG are somewhat overwhelmed by the scale of this operation. Information is very slow to trickle down to the dealership and my dealer seems to hear more rumours than have facts. They are providing me with courtesy car that extends through August so it looks like at least 1 month delay. He told me that some cars are so badly damaged that they are irreparable and are being totally written off. They will not even give an estimate as to when car might be available. They only can confirm that my car is on "the list" i.e. one of the damaged cars.

I've been following this story on this site also. There is a picture that illustrates the type of damage they are dealing with.
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/205303/1327395.aspx#1327395

mkc
15-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Do you think it might be possible that whilst they fix and repair these damaged cars, they might have to stop making new ones. All hands on deck so to speak to get those cars out that have expected delivery times and people have paid for?