PDA

View Full Version : Non - PD Tdi - LT or Transporter

DarrenUK
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm looking to buy a 2.5Tdi Transporter or LT tipper. Pre- pumpe duse
I'm going to use it for work and to carry a demountable camper box.
What do people make of these? Anyone got any recommendations tips about what to look out for?
I used to work at a company fitting equipment to vehicles to allow them to run on pure plant oils (rapeseed oil) and during my time there I fitted equipment to both an LT Sdi and a LWB Tdi Transporter. The Transporter felt a bit plastic the LT was v e r y s l o w.....

adamss24
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Go for the 2.5 tdi in the transporter. The 1.9 engine is sluggish compared with the 2.5 tdi. Avoid the 2.4 non turbo as its a very old design and much sluggish even than the SDI one ! They all will run happilly on rapeseed oil as they have the reliable VP rottary pumps.

DarrenUK
18-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Due to my need for a larger payload I ended up going for an LT35 (looked at a LT46 but decided against tacho and O-licence)
Sealed the deal on one yesterday - tidiest, best maintained, oldest and cheapest. Its also the only tipper I looked at which saves me having to put a tipper bed on something else.
I should pick it up over the weekend.

As I understand it getting them running reliably on rapeseed takes a bit of work. The VP37 injection pumps are good (the VP44 used on the 2.4tdi audis are a bit dodgy) The trouble is the cold starts, cold running and the high level of EGR does not help.