PDA

View Full Version : A little moan...

tomtom20
03-07-2008, 02:50 AM
After reading many posts and finding very few with gripes with their car and myself being taken in by the excitement of owning what is a great car, I have now after two weeks of driving found a few little niggles.

Hill Hold Assist. It is great until you go to reverse, I always forget that it does not take of the brakes automatically as it does in forward gears. And still find myself wondering why I'm not going anywhere and then remember to turn it off.
Having to put my foot on the brake to start the car, and then to select drive.
My previous 2 cars were automatics. I got in the habbit of stopping at traffic lights, putting on the handbrake and putting it into neutral. This has had to change slightly as the Audi puts on the brakes for me when I come to a stop. I can then put it into neutral, but go to drive off and I need to press the brake pedal, push in the button on the gear selector and then put it into drive. Old habbits die hard after so long, but feels like little to safe and good for it's own good with the procedure one must follow to drive off again.
The key, well it is not really a 'key' is it more a work of art and computer, but it's a pain to have it on a 'key ring' as they don't look good when it is in the slot on dashboard and the hole to put a keyring through is tight with the angle of the device. Why a moan? Fumbling in pocket for it a few times have almost dropped it as is so smooth and rounded but have settled to go keyringless - New word haha.
So really, they are small, little, tiny (you get the picture) moans. Mind you got some food for the car today, oil, coolent and brake fluid from dealer and had to get a litre of brake fluid! In a big metal tin, they only use dribbles of the stuff so bit over kill but hey ho. I love the car really, and the pull of the engine is great. Puts my old V6 petrol, which whilst smooth lacked low down grunt away from the lights.

Going for a holiday in Yorkshire this year and relishing the trip on the Motorway and then the hills and sweeping corners on the B roads up there in this car! So I am over all 99.9% happy!

digigriffin
03-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Hill Hold Assist and reverse?

I have not noticed this, in fact pretty sure that it does auto release the parking break as I have to reverse onto my drive and never had it not releasing.

Perhaps its different on an automatic?

dorgan
03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Can I ask how much mileage you have on the car seeing that you're already topping up with brake, coolant and oil.

RichardCranium
03-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Where abouts in Yorkshire are you going. Lovely place, when its not raining!

JBlues
03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Hill Hold Assist. It is great until you go to reverse, I always forget that it does not take of the brakes automatically as it does in forward gears. And still find myself wondering why I'm not going anywhere and then remember to turn it off.
The Hill Hold Assist should disengage in reverse - unless you've taken your seat beal off of course and then it won't!
My previous 2 cars were automatics. I got in the habbit of stopping at traffic lights, putting on the handbrake and putting it into neutral. This has had to change slightly as the Audi puts on the brakes for me when I come to a stop. I can then put it into neutral, but go to drive off and I need to press the brake pedal, push in the button on the gear selector and then put it into drive. Old habbits die hard after so long, but feels like little to safe and good for it's own good with the procedure one must follow to drive off again.
Can't you just come to a stop with the foot brake and leave it in drive? (I have not used the system in an Auto so this may be way off the mark!)
The key, well it is not really a 'key' is it more a work of art and computer, but it's a pain to have it on a 'key ring' as they don't look good when it is in the slot on dashboard and the hole to put a keyring through is tight with the angle of the device. Why a moan? Fumbling in pocket for it a few times have almost dropped it as is so smooth and rounded but have settled to go keyringless - New word haha.
Tha'ts one of the advantages of the Keyless System. You get in, press a button and go. No key fumbling and slots to find. As a famous Yorkshire once said....'If it had hair around it I'd find it!'
I can only apologise in advance for the last line.

tomtom20
03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Wow, so much to answer here from people so will begin:

To Digigriffin: I think it is the fact I have the automatic that it requires me to manually turn off the Hill Hold Assist when reversing. That is regardless if seatbelt is on or not.

To Dorgan: I have not done many miles, off the top of my head I can't remember. I have not had to add any brake fluid, oil or coolant to the car but went and bought it for the times in the furture when I do need to top them up. I was a bit miffed at the fact the brake fluid comes in a 1 Litre can only from Audi when of all things you do not need to use that much, if ever on a car unlike oil or coolant in the summer.

To RichardCranium: I will be going to North Yorkshire Moors, Whitby and Filey. It is a lovely part of the world with some amazing views and real 'wildness' up on the moors especially when it is a bit misty. But they have some great roads up there and also England’s steepest gradient (well it ties with one in Cumbria, the Hardknott Pass which is longer) They are both 1:3 Or in modern terms a 33% gradient. The one in North Yorkshire is called Rosedale Chimney and is one hell of a road to go up and down again lol. You can find out more at this site here: http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknottpass.htm

To JBlues: Again, Hill Hold Assist in my car (which is an Auto) does not turn off when I put it into reverse. If others have Auto's that do please let me know, for all I know I have a problem as I leave my seat belt on and it still will not turn off. I do now come to a stop and leave it in drive, the parking brake comes on automatically but it was something to get used to doing after so many years of not leaving it in drive at the lights on previous cars. I don't have the 'advanced key' so I must put it into the dashboard, and press it in (not a button) to start and stop the car. Simple fact is, its shape and weight means it is something I have almost dropped when getting it out of pocket not having a fob to it to grab or old like 'normal' keys with other cars. But if you do put on a fob or key ring it then spoils its looks and you have this keychain looking a mess when the key is pushed into the dash to drive the car.

Phew..I hope that answers your questions for now...

dorgan
03-07-2008, 07:26 PM
One thing that is a bit annoying is the gear change indicator. I know I can turn this off, but most of the time it wants me in 6th gear when I'm doing 30-35mph. Seems a bit excessive to me. If I was to follow the indication I'd never rev past 2200rpm.

PS I like your sig tomtom20 :D

HighwayTG
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Another annoyance...
If I switch the ignition off and leave the key in for a few minutes and then try to remove the key, it won’t... I have to start the car and switch it off and then remove it. :mad:

Also ... starting the car can be frustrating ... sometimes I have to press the clutch a few times and also press the key before it starts ... this would be no good as a getaway car. :biglaugh:

RichardCranium
03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
tomtom20. Dont get over to North York. Moors very often, but there are some great roads.
Done the Hardknott before. Once in a Renault Laguna and once on a Mountain Bike (when I was young and healthy)! Fantastic road, but IMO too narrow to have any fun. Too much stop start with all the traffic coming the other way. One of my favourites is the Kirkstone Pass, especially in the winter when its quiet.

Thought I had some pictures but I cant find them right now

Foringo
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Just been out to check my automatic and didn't find a problem with auto-release of my parking brake or hill hold assist when reversing.

Something I would like to know though from you fellow Multitronic owners is did you pay £45 for hill-hold assist? According to page 158 of my handbook it implies that this is a standard feature for this spec.

Any thoughts before I go back to my Dealer for a rebate??

tomtom20
03-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Just been out to check my automatic and didn't find a problem with auto-release of my parking brake or hill hold assist when reversing.

Something I would like to know though from you fellow Multitronic owners is did you pay £45 for hill-hold assist? According to page 158 of my handbook it implies that this is a standard feature for this spec.

Any thoughts before I go back to my Dealer for a rebate??

Yes I did pay the extra £45 - Or rather the company did as mine is not a private purchase.

**My Hill Hold Assist is working OK it was me being a fool I tried it again today and seemed to have to put a little more pressure on accelorator and off it came and I went backwards fine.

*Auto windscreen wipers - If you have yours set, remember to turn it off in a car wash! I just read it in the manual and can imagine the damage that could be done as the brush roller comes down and the wipers turn on!

digigriffin
03-07-2008, 09:44 PM
*Auto windscreen wipers - If you have yours set, remember to turn it off in a car wash! I just read it in the manual and can imagine the damage that could be done as the brush roller comes down and the wipers turn on!

Oh dear putting your new B8 A4 in a car wash! :(

Lavish a little tender loving care on your nice new pride and joy, hand wash a must. :D

dorgan
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM

As far as I am aware, the wiper will not work if the key is not in the ignition.

jcb
03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
why do you need hill hold assist ?? its an automatic - it cant roll back !!!!!!!!!. waste of money and makes life too complicated. just stop in drive then drive off. if you are waiting at light put handbrake on and slip into neutral then put back in drive and drive off - handbrake releases on its own. makes hill hold assist totally pointless. you will be wanting automatic steering next so it steers its self :biglaugh:

christopher.bro
04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
why do you need hill hold assist ?? its an automatic - it cant roll back !!!!!!!!!. waste of money and makes life too complicated. just stop in drive then drive off. if you are waiting at light put handbrake on and slip into neutral then put back in drive and drive off - handbrake releases on its own. makes hill hold assist totally pointless. you will be wanting automatic steering next so it steers its self :biglaugh:

Most sensible answer yet!. I've always had autos. They have hill hold built-in. Always have done.

digigriffin
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I have hill hold assist and for what it costs its a must.

I am driving a manual and never used a handbrake in any car anyway except when its parked.

So hill hold assist is saving my clutch wear.

jcb
04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
does it come on every time you stop or do you have to wait until you take your foot off the brake. if you briefly stop at a junction with your foot on the brake does it put the handbrake on ?

JBlues
04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
does it come on every time you stop or do you have to wait until you take your foot off the brake. if you briefly stop at a junction with your foot on the brake does it put the handbrake on ?

Basically if you come to a stop using the foot brake then the car is held.
Takes a little bit of getting used to and it can some times 'jump-in' a bit if your're gently rolling to a stop but I've found it the most useful thing on my Passat - which granted is not saying very much!

mkc
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Im lost with this hill assist thing. Surely, you can put the electric handbrake on, this will stop you rolling back and then when you drive off the electric handbrake is released anyway. So when its on you cant roll back, and when you drive off in 1st it turns itself off. Have I missed something with the Hill assist thing or is just for that split second where the handbrake is off and you are in the process of clutch and accelerator control to drive off. In which case learn to drive? Not a flame for those who have it but could someone please explain it to me!

Or is it for those short times when you arrive at the brow of a hill, no need for handbrake because you intend to move off again in a split second, and its at that point it cuts in?

JBlues
04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Im lost with this hill assist thing. Surely, you can put the electric handbrake on, this will stop you rolling back and then when you drive off the electric handbrake is released anyway. So when its on you cant roll back, and when you drive off in 1st it turns itself off. Have I missed something with the Hill assist thing or is just for that split second where the handbrake is off and you are in the process of clutch and accelerator control to drive off. In which case learn to drive? Not a flame for those who have it but could someone please explain it to me!

Or is it for those short times when you arrive at the brow of a hill, no need for handbrake because you intend to move off again in a split second, and its at that point it cuts in?

Put very simply - if you come to stop using the foot brake in any situation then you can take it that your hand brake is now on! Therefore you can take your foot off the brake in the certain knowledge that you are not going to go anywhere! Look at it as a foot operated hand brake!

In a funny way it encourages people to drive "properly" by using a hand brake at lights etc only the're doing it using their foot. By taking your foot off the brake and letting it hold you're not burning the eyes out of the bloke behind you.....especially Passat drivers with their LEDS!

RichardCranium
04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Put very simply - if you come to stop using the foot brake in any situation then you can take it that your hand brake is now on! Therefore you can take your foot off the brake in the certain knowledge that you are not going to go anywhere! Look at it as a foot operated hand brake!

In a funny way it encourages people to drive "properly" by using a hand brake at lights etc only the're doing it using their foot. By taking your foot off the brake and letting it hold you're not burning the eyes out of the bloke behind you.....especially Passat drivers with their LEDS!

But the handbrake is only the flick of a switch! I use it much more than I ever did with a std handbrake

tomtom20
04-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Some interesting views on Hill Hold Assist. I think for £45 it is worth it and silly not to have it, I know that the car comes with an 'Electromechanical handbrake' which does turn off as you drive away. But it all depends on how you drive, if you have been used to putting on the handbrake when you stop at a set of lights then it is fiddly to press a button each time.

I don't think it is so much useful in an auto, as far as starting on a hill goes, but it is one of those things, you get in, set and forget. You then do not need to think about putting on the hand brake, and for those with manuals makes a hill start truly easy.

Had it been more expensive I would not have gone with it, but for the money it seemed silly not to and have acctually found it useful when coming to a stop on a downward slope i just take my foot of the brake and it is held, traffic moves away, touch the gas and away we go no bother or keeping foot on brake, pressing a switch or what now seems old fashion physically having to pull up a hand brake.

By the way, an aside I found a new American word the other day. They call the hand brake the 'E BRAKE' or emergency brake. I also think most americans being so used to autos, never much bother with a parking brake and just leave the transmission in park and leave it. One thing as hand brakes go, thank god it is is not Merc, fine if an auto but try driving a manual and doing a hill start in one, you have to pull a lever under the dash, bang it goes, and off goes the brake no easing it out just on or off and if you are not ready for it can roll back.

Foringo
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I always thought that it was poor driving practice to keep autos in ‘D’ all of the time regardless, so if I stop for any length of time I tend to click the lever into ‘N’…so yes, on an incline my auto at least will roll away under the effects of gravity if there’s no braking force being applied! In my opinion I think that Audi should have called it something else rather than ‘hill hold assist’ as I have found the main benefit is nothing really to do with starting off on hills but just the fact that it will automatically apply the parking brake each time you stop without any additional intervention. I known it’s no great hardship to manually apply the brake but it’s just another extra level of convenience and goes well with an auto...perhaps that why they list it as a standard feature with Multitronic? (I'll check this one out next week!). There are times when I find it better to switch it off altogether when traffic is constantly stop-starting for instance, when it can actually become annoying but it’s easy to select the mode to suit the conditions. I also tend to use this rather than the main handbrake switch as it only needs a slight touch to engage (it then automatically engages the parking brake on engine shut-down). The auto-brake also appears to come on instantly rather than the slight delay when you apply the brake switch manually. I think that for only £45 it’s worth specifying and you can then make your own mind up on it’s usefulness or otherwise.

neilb
04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
why was the hand brake invented? I think to simply hold the car still when no-one was in it. Feels very old fashioned concept now with our new audi. And the merc was a very poor on hill starts. It had an extra foot pedal to apply the hand brake and to release it you had to pull a leaver below the dash. Madness!!

nlb.