PDA

View Full Version : Question Full Post Code Sat Nav

Sheroo
02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
For those chaps that have Sat Nav, does yours have a full post code search similar to the Tom Tom ? Mine is only 4 digits.

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
zip code.The german system doesnt support the uk 7 digit postcode but i belive this may be changing.

B6Andy101
02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
5 digit on the demonstrator I looked out, slightly disappointed not to get the full post code.

Lets hope they change it before they build mine

Sheroo
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the prompt feedback, I too am a tad disappointed with that ! Let's hope the update comes soon.

Further it seems if Sat Nav is specified the SD Card Reader is dropped, I can't believe they drop such a neat bit of kit when a buyer commits over £2K for an option !

B6Andy101
02-07-2008, 09:26 PM
No mention of it in brochures but covered in another post.
You may be able to get AMI as a retro-fit.
Any ideas A8 Tech

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I looked at the latest etka at work but couldnt match the part number i got off us sat nav site.
I will continue to look out for this and post if i get the answer.
As for post code i would suspect early 2009 cdrom update disc to cover this but time will tell.
The 5 digit is ok just needs you to select a little bit more info and i use it and hae no real issues but then again i use tom tom as well but audi nav is better(but it should be for the price):biglaugh::biglaugh:

RichardCranium
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
The B7 Sline i've been using today has the Sat Nav option and that only had 5 digit post code facility. However it had 2 SD slots behind the screen. Are they for mapping/music/both?

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
music files

RichardCranium
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Wonder why it was removed from the new 'un? Seems daft

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
No mention of it in brochures but covered in another post.
You may be able to get AMI as a retro-fit.
Any ideas A8 Tech
According to the wiring diagram the ami can be installed to generation 3 radio system in a5 and b8 a4 by wiring into the aux connection and bridging into the can network.
The location of the aux is j199 but then there is the small matter of enabling the function but also the aux single piont connection which is now fitted to r8,tt and a4 a5 should also be retro fittable as well.
If i am asked to do it at work ill post the fitment info.

jcb
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
SO MY £99 tomtom has 7 digit and the £1900 audi system doesnt....mmm..shall i order it or shall i put the £1900 towards the £2300 needed to upgrade from 1.8T to 2.0T .....bit of a no brainer really !!

a8tech - why do you say Audi is better than tomtom. i have been using tomtom for a few years and have yet to find any serious flaws ? enlighten me. what is better in the audi system that justifies being 20 times more expensive ?

parsen66
03-07-2008, 07:07 AM
I too was very unhappy when I found that my new A4 was not full postcode search. Up to this point I was a constant user of TomTom. However, i've lived with it for just over a week and its found all the business's so far, and the information the Sat Nav gives you back is much better than TomTom. That's not to say that I wouldnt want a full postcode option.

RichardCranium
03-07-2008, 08:48 AM
The TMC is a good feature. Well worth having. Re-calculates your route if there is any hold-ups

Audi Nick
03-07-2008, 10:35 AM
JCB if you try out the Audi Sat Nav you will see the difference, it really is much better.

Whether it is £1800 better depends on your view point. I had Tom Tom before I got my A6, so when I down sized (thanks Gordon) having the same internal layout with inbuilt Sat Nav was important.

If you use either system a lot you will appreciate the ablity to zoom in and out of junctions quickly. Not only this, but with the Audi system you can check the route quickly and make allowances that no technical system can currently do (there is no substitute for local knowledge).

MalcQV
03-07-2008, 12:53 PM
SO MY £99 tomtom has 7 digit and the £1900 audi system doesnt....mmm..shall i order it or shall i put the £1900 towards the £2300 needed to upgrade from 1.8T to 2.0T .....bit of a no brainer really !!

a8tech - why do you say Audi is better than tomtom. i have been using tomtom for a few years and have yet to find any serious flaws ? enlighten me. what is better in the audi system that justifies being 20 times more expensive ?

I agree jcb,
One problem with any OEM sat nav IMHO is you can't move it about from car to car. I could never justify it as an option for £1900. Of course as I usually buy 2nd hand I won't pay that anyway.

I have had my TomTom for 18 months, take it to the USA numerous times aswell and it works perfectly, even with US Zip codes. Try that with the Audi Sat Nav :p

jcb
03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
i guess its all down to personal preference and how much we use it. i dont use my car for business so sat nav is used on holidays, day trips, solo driving to new places. I am quiet happy fo rmy passenger to navigate with a map (yes it is my wife and yes she can read a map - not as well as i can read one you understand but for a female she is not bad at navigating:biglaugh:)

i just dont see how Audi can be 20x as good as tomtom cos its 20x the price !!! tom tom is 99% accurate and is easy to follow. zooming in for junctions doesnt really seem necessary to me - how hard can it be to "take the third exit"....also can you get the audi system to say "groovy driving baby" in the voice of Austin powers ?? :biglaugh: