PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Audi A4 Combi - Towing Question

Michael Delia
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
We want to use our 1998 A4 2l combi diesel to tow horses - the question is can the car handle a trailer with two horses? Does anyone know or know how I can find out?

Thanks

Captain Answer
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
We want to use our 1998 A4 2l combi diesel to tow horses - the question is can the car handle a trailer with two horses? Does anyone know or know how I can find out?

Thanks

The towing figures should be in your handbook then all you do is equate the trailer and horse weight.

Someone on here will probably know them if you don't have the handbook

Eshrules
03-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Also bear in mind the current legislation on car to trailer length, your trailer by law, is not allowed to exceed a certain percentage of the cars total length.

Having towed horses, I'd also be wary, according to what type of horse it is, something like a miniature shetland will present no issue, a larger horse such as a dutch warmblood/hunter type will be quite a significant weight.

Michael Delia
03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks - we don't have the manual as we bought the car used.
If anyone has any insights, I would be grateful.

Best

Mike

Michael Delia
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Indeed ours is a large horse - we estimate 500-700 kg, so with the trailer we are at about 1200 kgs and I wonder how much more, if any the car can handle. The installer said the hitch was rated for 2000 kg and the engine was fine, but he didn't think the body of the car could handle it. Hence my query.

adamss24
03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
You should get a 2.5 tdi quattro to handle that weight...also the horse box should be braked and the weight of the car+ trailer should not exceed 4000kg. I used to tow with my old 98 a4 2.5 tdi quattro a big caravan and a 3 wheeled ifor williams braked car trailer with a car on it and had no problem with it whatsoever ! With the caravan on tow sometimes forgot its still hooked on the back when cruising on the motorway. Make shure you choose a car with cruise control, as it will save a lot of hard work changing gears, also upgrade the brakes to later models 312 mm brake discs and caliper carriers as it will help a lot !